How to tell the generator voltage? (6 vs 12)

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by bobs51, Sep 17, 2014.

1. bobs51

bobs51 Member

I have a non-running 51 and figured out that I have a generator. The truck last ran 14 years ago and while the gauges didn't work (another story) I drove it enough that I assume that the generator was charging the battery.

Now that I'm starting to trace each and every wire (and there are some strange runs like what looks like an extension cord from the started to the a splice on the firewall) I'm curious to see if the generator is a 6 or 12 volt system.

Can I pull it and hook it up to a drill or something and just measure the 2 terminals or is there some other way to figure this out?

thanks,
    bob

2. gary1of2

gary1of2 Member

That might work neighbor. To get an idea whether you have 12 or 6 volts is look for a resistor in line with the points and or check the no. on the lite bulbs in you truck.

3. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

You say it ran and charged - is the battery 6V or 12V?
    Part number on the headlamps or taillights?

4. bobs51

bobs51 Member

Actually it ran, I don't know if it charged because the gauges are pretty messed up.

the battery is 12V but based on the disconnected wires under the hood and dash I'm thinking that the person who did the work did the minimal to make it run. I enlarged the wiring schematic from the service manual and am going to start at the voltage regulator and trace and label what I can. Assuming that the bolts aren't frozen I'll pull the generator this weekend and see if I can find a sticker or something (after I get off the grease and grime).

Good idea on checking the headlights, it has me thinking that maybe they did the starter with 12V but kept the running gear on 6 volts. If that's the case I'll probably just convert it back to 6volts, the local Batteries Plus says that they stock the 6V battery and it's not too expensive.