72 Jimmy headlights inop

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by gunpilot, Jul 27, 2005.

1. gunpilot

gunpilot Member

Headlights on my 72 Jimmy mysteriously went out last night,needless to say the drive home was high adventure. Replaced both small fuses by the headlamps, replaced voltage reg/headlamp relay, replaced dimmer switch, getting no juice at the dimmer switch. Have no clue where to go now! any suggestions greatly appreciated!

2. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, did you replace the fuse in the fuse block? If so that only leaves the light switch itself. Hope this helps.

Vince

3. chevy man06

chevy man06 Member

I had the same problem on my 69 3/4ton. I replaced everything you did then I checked all my wiring very closely. I finally got it traced to the switch and since im a curious guy I took the switch apart and inside there is a small wire that looks kind of like a fuse. I ended up soldering a piece of welding wire in there to bridge the gap. If you dont feel like doing that much work I would start with another switch you know works and if that doesn't do it I have no clue. hope this helps.

4. gunpilot

gunpilot Member

That was my next step, went over all the wiring diagrams again and didnt see any fuses I missed, then it dawned on me no juice at the dimmer, hotwire for the dimmer goes directly to the switch. Next step switch. Thanks for you advice and ill post and let you know what I came up with..........

Gunpilot

5. gunpilot

gunpilot Member

That did the trick, strange how GMC didnt fuse the headlights! That strip of metal was all melted which lead me to ask why. I have no carpet in my jimmy at the moment, in the process of getting all the rust off the floor/bed and having the whole thing Rhino-Lined so I can go convertable full time. Problem was the dimmer switch leads arched on the floor, thus blowing the switch.

Thanks again for your help!