muffler question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by sberman, Sep 24, 2014.

1. sberman

sberman Member

Previous owner put a 2" pipe all the way back on this truck has the 250 inline in it no muffler so it does that popping when im coming to a stop im over it can i just put a muffler in ?
    if so what sounds good and would I get a 2"in and a 2"out and just use muffler clamps on it ?
    thanks

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the peace since 1968

Yep, just buy a 2" inlet, 2" outlet muffler and splice it in.

What brand muffler?

I'd put a Cherry Bomb on it if it were mine... like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-87507cb/overview/

Some folks like Smithy's... they pre-date Cherry Bomb's and were "the muffler" in the 50's and early 60's. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Smithys-Glasspack-Muffler-22-Inch-Body-2-Inch-Inlet-Outlet,1703.html

In my experience the bullet shaped Cherry Bombs will last much longer, less places for rust to start due to their smooth design..​
    • With these style mufflers the longer the muffler, the quieter the exhaust note.
    • And be sure to read the instructions. Some of these mufflers specify which end is the inlet and which is the outlet. Put them on backwards and the muffler will be louder than in the "correct" orientation.
    Good luck to ya!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  3. sberman

sberman Member

thanks for the help

4. Trucknut64

Trucknut64 Member

Do yourself a favor and make sure the tail pipes are not under the bed. Mine had the pipe stop just under the fender and the extra heat dried the wood up in the bed.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Mufflers

If you're going to use a Smitty's (or the ' Smithys ' knock off) do your self a favor and puy the longest one they have ~ 40" is good , I think Summit only has the 30" at longest .

The shorter ones rap and sound very sharp and noisy , you've already said you don't like too much noise .

Me , I'm fine with an open exhaust but it *must* go all the way back to the rear bumper to avoid sounding bad .