late model engine in 71

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Justme, May 8, 2005.

1. Justme

Justme Member

Just wondering,I am thinking of installing a late model LS-1 motor and trans. in my 1971 Chevrolet truck. Anyone done this swap before or know anyone that has were I can get some pointers. I may even consider buying special motor mounts and a engine wiring harness. But I am sure I can build some,done it before with a small block. I have the orginal LS engine harness, but I am sure it will be a pain in the butt. Trying to figure out things the 71 does not need.

2. Daviduty

Daviduty Member

there are many people to convert an LS1 wiring harness to a " stand alone system " for about $300.00 or less.
    Get it mounted hook up 12Volts and go. ( ok there may be alittle more to it, fuel, speedo, etc.... but its not bad.
    in the process of LT! install right now.
    David

3. Justme

Justme Member

Thanks a lot for the reply David. Sorry it took so long for me to get back with you,been putting in a lot of hours at work. Anyway $300.00 does not seem to bad for a standalone wiring harness. You say you know were I can get one for my LS-1. Cool If possible I would be grateful if you could let me know. Also any other stuff that might help me with the swap. Mounts,headers and etc.
    Even though I am a gal I built this truck 4 years ago, but with a carb 350. And I did everything but the painting in my 2 car garage. So Im sure I can do this swap. Thanks Again Tracy !

4. basketcase

basketcase Member

Tracy,

Trans-Dapt has a engine swap motor mount kit to put SBII engines (LS1,2,6,7, and the iron truck versions) into early chassis that came with a regular small block using the stock mounting positions.

www.tdperformance.com

Tom