Converting a Longbed to a Shortbed

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by ddrass, May 27, 2005.

1. ddrass

ddrass Member

What's involved in swapping beds? Is it as simple as exchanging one bed for another, or are the wheelbases/frams different? Thanks!

2. sb971

sb971 Member

RE: Converting a Longbed to a Short

It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, that's for sure. The frames are different. You would have to cut about 18" out of the middle of your frame. If you have the bed, the time, the space, and are pretty crafty with a torch (preferably plasma cutter) and welder, it can be done. I saw a web site a while back where someone had done just that, and showed most of the steps... If I can find it again, I'll let you know.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Here is an article from Classic Trucks about Project Old School.
    It's a 60-66 example, but it will give you some idea what you are getting into.

http://classictrucks.com/tech/cl_0310_oldschool/

Dval

4. ddrass

ddrass Member

>Here is an article from Classic Trucks about Project Old
    >School.
    >It's a 60-66 example, but it will give you some idea what
    >you are getting into.
    >
    >http://classictrucks.com/tech/cl_0310_oldschool/
    >
    >Dval

Yikes...is all that really much easier than digging up a shortbed frame, swapping it, and putting some short bedwalls on the bed?

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

"Yikes...is all that really much easier than digging up a shortbed frame, swapping it, and putting some short bedwalls on the bed? "

No.. But it's one that gets asked all the time... In areas where clean short beds are in short supply, converting a long bed to a short bed may seem the best way.

Personally ? I never understood it. If you really WANT a short bed, Get A Shortbed ! It's similar to the folks who want to convert a 2X to a 4X. Just get a 4X !!

It seems that the time, money and effort to do that conversion could be spent better on restoring/rodding a real short bed.

But,,, that's just my opinion,,, I could be wrong.. ;)

DVal