V8 conversion Video

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by mikebte, Nov 17, 2014.

1. mikebte

mikebte Member

Swapped out the Inline 6 for a V8 and figured I would post my video.
    Not the best but you can see how it was done. Will post for photos later with detailed info. My carb needed a rebuild and I am waiting a new HEI right now.

http://youtu.be/qbxkKAPI6jQ

Enjoy, Used a tractor for my engine hoist.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Driveway Fun !

Looks better / easier than a rope over the tree or barn support .

What was wrong with the old engine ? .

(the Tractor wasn't noisy)

3. mikebte

mikebte Member

Tired

The old 235 was a tired and could no longer pull a trailer or even the truck.
    I still have it and am going to rebuild it. But for the time I am going to run the V8.
    I have a few options for the 6. Put in a 55 pickup I have or put it into a old tractor. Still not sure. But ether way I still love the old inline motors and will always think highly of them.

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Put it into the tractor. :)

5. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

v8

You will enjoy the power of a V8 and it looks like you put in a 350 turbo tranny. Mine has a 350/350. Love the automatic. Used a Locar floor shifter and they work as advertised. I was surprised you used straps to lift the engine/tranny combination, but if it works, use it. That green engine hoist was a good idea. 283 engines are noted for reliability, good choice. Did you rebuild it?

6. mikebte

mikebte Member

Tractor would be nice, than I could stop using my truck for working around the house.

I rebuilt the 283. .040 over with roller cam and rocker, 600 cfm carb ( had to jet it way down) I have my new Distributer. Got it in the mail today. Should be running good here soon.

7. steve

steve Member

Nice Tractor

Nice motor, I used 350 (1972) and 200R4, overdrive. I think the total package shaved 200lbs from stock.

8. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

That engine should turn some serious RPMs the way you have it set up. Should have quick acceleration.
    I built my 350 also. Bored 30 over, makes it a 355. Only thing original is the block. Hydraulic cam, Edelbrock performer intake and an Edelbrock 750 cfm carb. Step on the gas and the speedometer goes one way and the gas gauge goes the other way. On a quiet night you can go into the garage with the truck and if you are real quiet you can hear the carb sucking on the gas.
    Our trucks get a lot of attention from other drivers and that's fun. Enjoy your truck.
    Gerald in cold Florida, getting down below freezing here tonight.

9. mikebte

mikebte Member

For sure on the gas hog. I filled it up and drove it to work 2 times. After seeing the gas gauge I left it home for a week. Crazy how thirsty the little guy is. Got my new distributor in last night, I'll be putting it in soon.

http://youtu.be/KeMDgGkX4sA?list=UUAAmbhpDRFy2eDkj0O084mA

New Distributor should work nice.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

V-8 Fuel Economy

One of the great things about the " Leaks A Lot " 4BBL Rochester carbys was : if you were light on the throttle , they ran well and accelerated fine but only used two venturies and so didn't slurp up the dead dinosaurs nearly as fast .

Me , I'm a Blue Collar Working Stiff who has to count every penny so with " Motor Fuel " @ $3.10 / gallon , I'll keep my old InLine 6 bangers thankyouvermuch . a bit of care when rebuilding or overhauling makes them quite potent and rather fuel efficient .

I wish I knew enough to cobble up a fuel injection system for one .

Not much point in having a nice old truck if I can't afford to drive it daily .