V8 conversion motor mounts

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by smfulle, Jun 8, 2009.

1. smfulle

smfulle Member

Can anyone tell me if they have used the V8 conversion motor mounts sold by our host, part # 79-375? How do they work? Do you have to drill holes in the cross member to bolt them to? My truck, a 59, has a 327 installed by the previous owner where a 6 cylindar used to be, but he did kind of a wack job on it, welding in some random crossmember then putting some home made front motor mounts on it. I am putting in a new 350 and am trying to fix the thing right as I go. I am trying to stick with the original front motor mounts because I have the standard transmission and want to stay with the rear bell housing mounts.

If anyone had pictures of these mounts installed I would love to see how they fit and how they work.

Thanks,

Stan

2. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Those mounts are what your truck would have if it came from the factory with a V8. I havent used the repop set your refering to, but they look alot like the factory ones, and those work well. The only time you cant use the front mounts is if you running a automatic or power steering. The holes are already there in your front crossmember, just bolt em in! Chris

3. smfulle

smfulle Member

Thanks Chris,

I guess I'll get them and give it a try.

4. lonehorn57

lonehorn57 Member

motor mount conversion

stan,

I put them on my 57 Chev, they fit real well and bolt right to the front of the 1966 283 c.i. that I am using. I bought grade-8 bolts to use and have never had any trouble. The necessary holes are already in the frame.

jim

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. RaymondSherwood

RaymondSherwood Member

smfulle is your truck a Chevy or GMC? How did they work?
    You see I'm in the same boat. I replaced the 270 straight 6 with a 350 back in 1997, my father and I built a motor mount from 1/4 steel off the straight 6 mount; and now the mount is starting to finally weaken and now I'm much older and want to do it correctly.
    I ask if yours is a Chevy or GMC is because the cross member on the GMC is slightly more forward.
    I can't decide to use Part # 79-375 or Part # 79-405

6. steve

steve Member

Different Type

I used this type and seems to work well so far.

Attached Files:

7. smfulle

smfulle Member

My mounts

Raymond,
    My truck is a Chevy. Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a while and just saw your question.
    The mounts work great on my 59 in combination with stock bell housing mounts in the rear.
    You should be able to see the mounts in the picture.
    [​IMG]

8. coilover

coilover Member

Raymond,
    You used the wrong 350, the GMC's came with Pontiac engines in the V8 model. No worry though as there are mounts available from Chassis Engineering and others. One can have power steering and automatic also. The pump is on the back of the generator or use Alan Grove short waterpump mounts. The cast iron Powerglide mounted to the crossmember and there also are mounts to bolt from crossmember to modern transmissions. We just finished a 55 with front motor mounts, p/s, and a 200R4 overdrive automatic.

9. coilover

coilover Member

Actually that should be 2004R, the 700 is R4.

10. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Headers

smfulle
    I have a question for you. The headers on your truck, what brand are they and do you have a part number for them? The headers I used make changing some of the spark plugs almost impossible, it looks like it would be easier to get to your plugs. Are you using the original steering box and do they clear it ok?
    That's a clean looking engine you have.
    Gerald in Ocala, Fla.

11. Beamer

Beamer Member

Hey Steve. I like the looks of the mounts you used. Did they work out ok? Where can I find them? Thanks!

12. steve

steve Member

Not Bad

Beamer,

I had them for about five years, (part number 7204771), make sure your engine selection allows the three bolt connection the newer block, mine is a 1972 block.

I like the fact that nothing runs under the engine, they are real solid construction, bolting to the side of the block ties everything in. all hardware is provided. approximately 90 bucks. it allows you to move the engine forward like I did, or back where you need it. I wanted to clear the fire wall and if I used the under engine tube type it would have interfered with the straight axle when the leafs compressed.

Moving the engine forward, I also needed a custom drive shalt, no dig deal. You could add additional flat stock inside the frame if you wanted more support, my 300 hp is fine like it is.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=1959+truck+motor+mounts

13. Beamer

Beamer Member

Thanks Steve!
    We may beef up the inside a little but would prefer not to add another cross member.

Moving the engine forward a little will be a benefit as we are hoping to use a manual transmission while keeping the bench seat which may pose a problem...

No drive shaft with the truck... bought as a rolling chassis with separate 350 sb so we can address the drive shaft later

Thanks again for the help.

Beamer (and son )

14. smfulle

smfulle Member

headers

58Apache,
    Sorry i haven't replied soon about my headers. I haven't been on here much lately.
    My headers are Headman Elite Heavy Duty, part #69268.
    I got mine from Summit Racing.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-69268

15. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

headers

Thanx for the info

16. Arthur/K

Arthur/K Member

Original V-8motor mounts

I am planning to use the original V-8 motor mounts 79-375 on 59 3100 . I am putting in a 283 from a 1964 that does have the front holes in the block. I am also replacing the 4 speed with a Power Glide is that going to be a problem? and do I need to install the transmission crossmember?
    Thanks for any help

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  17. mikebte

mikebte Member

I used this same mount in my swap. I made a video, but it only shows the mounts a few times.

http://youtu.be/qbxkKAPI6jQ

I'll get more info on them asap