5.3L swap into 57

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by bigdreams57, Mar 30, 2013.

1. bigdreams57

bigdreams57 Member

I have a 1957 pickup and I got a great deal on a 5.3L with an ecm, and harness. So, i am going to go with that instead of the old 283. I purchased the V8 mount cross member from classicparts, and Ls adaptor engine mounts and now when im going to mock up the engine the V8 crossmembers mounts are ruffly 3 inches too wide.
    Has anyone else done a 5.3 swap on a 55-59 truck? if so what mounts did you have to use?
    I was planning on taking a couple inches out of the center of the mount and rewelding it to bring the mounting holes in, but before i cut into a perfectly good crossmember i figured i wouldnt try to reinvent the wheel.

2. steve

steve Member

What I used

I did install a 350, SB and used the mounts pictures no issues yet. I like the fact no cross member clearance issues with the oil pan or anything. I also like my header slection too. But that's just me.

Attached Files:

3. BAM55

BAM55 Member

I'm doing a 5.3 4L60E install on my truck. I fab my own motor mounts. But you can use the kits and they will work fine. They had adapter plates that allow you to use standard small block chevy mounts.

Here is what I did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. bigdreams57

bigdreams57 Member

nice work

well the v8 crossmember i ended up taking about and inch and a hald out of the center and rewelded it together, and it works great. I have the engine in and the transmission cross member in but not bolted down yet. Also, i picked up an S10 rearend with disc brakes and im putting that in this weekend heres a picture of the progress on the front.

Attached Files:

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress !

It looks very compact and nice in there .

How about some pix of the tranny cross member ? .

6. bigdreams57

bigdreams57 Member

update

Sorry i dont have pictures of the cross member yet. I will have to take some tomorrow in the day light. I have been hard at work, i have got my new disc brake rearend in its only a 7.5 diff out of a blazer, but it fits nice. I just picked up a 700r4, and got that mounted up with my cross member. And memorial day weekend i have friday off too, so i am hoping to have my brake lines ran and then start on simplifying the engine harness. GOAL DATE for running is the LAST FLING TILL SPRING in west point, Nebraska.

7. mikebte

mikebte Member

I love the swap. Looks good man. Keep up the good work

8. coilover

coilover Member

Had never thought of using a bushing in a tube for an engine mount but it is very compact and universal. Yours looks like it might be a urethane bushing but if it's rubber let us know how much engine vibration it transfers into the chassis. We have done several LS swaps but they have been the aluminum block ones and 4L80E trans. These engines are great units that run stock better than many hopped up 350's and if used with the GM engine and trans controllers plus a 3.50 to 3.70 rear gear will give low to mid 20 mpg. The bad thing is everyone is on to it and they bring a premium.