283 to a 350 engine

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by byates2, Mar 23, 2005.

1. byates2

byates2 Member

I have a 283 v8 currently in my truck. I want to get a 350 in there. Is there anything special i need to do to make it work in my 67 c10.

2. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

It's a direct bolt in, the blocks are the same other than cam bearings, crank, and bore, same casting on the block, heads, ect.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

3. basketcase

basketcase Member

One thing I can think of is the water pump. Starting in 1969 most Chevys went to a long legged water pump. I'm sure you have heard people talk about long pumps and stort pumps.

If you re-use the short water pump off of the 283 and keep all of the pulleys and accessory mounting brackets off of the 283 all will be well and the fan will stay in the same position relative to the radiator. If you use the long style pump off of the 350 you will need to use it's matching long style water pump pulley, crank pulley. power steering pump with pulley and mounting brackets and alternator mount. Also you will need to be sure that the fan isn't now too close to the radiator. It should be 1/2 way in the rear of the shroud to work best. 1/2 of the fan shoud be exposed out of the rear (engine side) of the fan shroud.

Also check the starter mounting. The older 283s mounted to the bellhousing whereas the later 283s mounted to the block like a 350. If your truck has it's original 67 283 you should be OK.

Tom

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Use the correct harmonic balancer for the 350. There may be some other small differences, like the starter for example. But pretty much, it's a real easy swap.. and one you will like.

DVal

5. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Sorry guys forgot about the water pumps, after 1969 I think they went to the long style pumps correct me if I'm wrong.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

>Sorry guys forgot about the water pumps, after 1969 I think
    >they went to the long style pumps correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

Correct Jesse. It's no biggie to go back to a short pump though.

DVal

7. coilover

coilover Member

Chevy cars went to the long pump in 1969, Chevy trucks kept the short pump through 72. This helps when looking for pulleys and brackets.