whats wrong with this

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by 74X4Burb, Mar 19, 2005.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I got the new engine in my truck.and its runnin like crap.It had a hesatation right off idle so i started playing with the carb and now it just wont run right,its timed right but it just is not getting enough fuel,and the carb just aint workin the way it should either.I turn the idle mixture screws and it dosent do much,what should I check first, fuel pump or should i tear into the carb its got an edelbrock carb,intake,and cam.should i put a edelbrock fuel pump on it,I just dont know what to do with it any more.oh and dose anyone know where I can get a new alternator plug for a'71 mine keeps falling out.help please this thing is driving me crazy.it seems that no matter how much time and money I put in this piece of junk,it dosent help.Karl

________
    Vaporizer review

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. cowboy

cowboy Member

I had the similar problem with my edelbrock i just replaced the carb with a holley. i took the carb apart several time and i never had any luck with it.
    cowboy

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I replaced the fuel pump,And rebuilt the carb,and it wasent even that dirty.dident change anything though.that carb worked great on the other engine.I did notice that the clear plastic filter hardly had any gas in it.I put a new fuel line on it already, is the fuel line from the tank clogged? my sending unit going to heck?.Thanks.Karl

________
    HAWAII MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. Steve W

Steve W Member

A buddy of mine had a similar problem with a new truck he bought. He had an in-line fuel filter and one in the carb body. He found that he had to remove the fuel filter on the carb body an the truck ran a lot better. Seems the double fuel filters were not allowing the engine a proper amount of fuel.

Hope it helps.

5. 56bassman

56bassman Member

If you turned the idle mix screws and it didnt do anything its probably telling you that your primarys are opened enough to make the screws non functioning or, if it is a Edelbrock, you need a fuel regulator. Even a stock fuel pump is too much for Edelbrocks and most holleys. The fuel pressure is probably too high for the needle and seat and its forcing the gas right past the idle circuit. Th idle mix screws are strictly for "idle". Hope this helps. Ed