Power Brakes 71 C10

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by glb, Feb 26, 2005.

1. glb

glb Member

I want to install power brakes on my 71. I now have disc, drum. What is my best way.Do I just need a booster or a kit or what. Can I use the old Master or do I need a new one.Thanks

2. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

I am fairly certain (90%) that you need a master cylinder that was designed for the power brake booster. I don't know if looks mean anything on your pickup or if it is a worker/hauler. I know that brake boosters are very hearty and work forever with little trouble, so if you can get your hands on an old booster with a master cylinder, grab it up and put a new kit in the master cylinder and bolt it on. Chances are the booster is still good even if it looks like it went throught World War II, then sat in a field to rust for thirty years.
    Brian

3. glb

glb Member

Any idea what year booster I can use. Thanks

4. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

Any booster from a 67-72 pickup should work. I believe that some from a few cars should work as well, you'll have to check. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Also I'm not sure if the 1/2 ton has the same booster as a 3/4 ton etc.

Brian

5. 83silverado

83silverado Member

You may have better luck finding power brakes off of a 4wheel drive. Many 4x4's came with power brakes, you will also want the prop valve
    located on the front crossmember for the power brake conversion.

6. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

With disc/drum combination you will need a double chamber master cylinder and a porportioning valve. If the truck came from the factory with disc/drum brakes you should be able to install a power brake booster that is correct for this year. I just installed a factory correct power booster on my '66, C-10 and I was able to use my stock single chamber master cylinder without a porportioning valve. I had to add a line from the intake manifold to the check valve on the power booster and drill on extra hole in the firewall to complete the installation. I did not have to bleed the brakes after the power booster was installed. What a difference this upgrade makes. Even better stopping performance for your truck with disc/drum combination. Good luck with the install.

LILRD66 ('66, C-10)
    BCKNBLK ('66, K-10)

7. jtkees

jtkees Member

What was the extra hole in the fire wall for? Booster mount?

Jon

8. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Just an FYI on this thread.

A power booster will not improve braking performance. It decreases the amount of effort needed to depress the brake pedal and stop the vehicle. It's about driver comfort... And for my money, anything that makes driving easier, makes driving more fun. ;)

Dval