350 Turbo Transmission in 1966 C10

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Brad5151, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Brad5151

Brad5151 Member

I just purchased my 66 back (3rd time)...this time I'm keeping it! The previous owner sold the 350 engine and original 3 speed manual out of it. So...I'm starting over and hopefully this will turn into a nice father and son project.
    I have purchased a 1983 350 engine and have a 350 turbo on the way. My first question is: Will the original transmission cross member work or do I need to cut it out? The two piece drive shaft is gone too. Can I use a one piece or am I asking for problems? Thanks for the help!

2. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

Yes, you will need a new crossmember for the transmission. I went from a 283/3-speed man to a 350/700r4 and fabbed my own crossmember. I don't know if you still have the original crossmember, but wished I had cut out to old one before putting in the new combo.
    Why not go with a 700r4 or other OD automatic transmission? The OD is GREAT!
    Not sure about your driveshaft. Mine is a SWB so I took in the old driveshaft and had it shortened w/a new yoke attached.

3. Brad5151

Brad5151 Member

Thanks for responding. I already had the 350 turbo...so thats why I'm using it.

The cross member itself is gone...but there are two pedestals on the frame under cab. I assume the original cross member bolted to these or did the old 3 speed bolt directly to it? Anyway...it looks like something I should cut out to clean it up. I will buy a aftermarket crossmember for it.

I purchased a 2 piece drive shaft to put back in.

My engine came out of a 1983 3/4 ton. Looks like I may need different motor mounts?? Any experience with this?

4. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

my son gave me the 700r4. finally got something from him for a change!!
    the 283/3-speed manual combo had mounts at the rear of the block, so the cross member had to be cut out, which is rivited in.
    height of motor mounts may be different. i would suggest getting new mounts for your year of truck. bolt patterns are the same on blocks. another reason for new mounts is because the rubber ages. when i pulled out my old 283 the rubber had seperated from the metal. got new ones from napa suprisingly cheap.

5. Brad5151

Brad5151 Member

What did you do for a radiator? Use your existing one or did you do a conversion?

6. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

I used my original radiator (no trans cooler, was converted to a 3 tube some time ago) and added two trans coolers in series in front of radiator (gotta love those old trucks, LOTS of room). Also added finned trans pan w/ 2 qt added capacity.

7. myoung73

myoung73 Member

i have a 1960 with a 84 vette motor and a th400. I went with a single driveshaft and the trans mount from a 88 camaro z28. it fit great right.

8. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

motor mounts

our host sells after market engine and tranny mounts with everything you need, I used them to install a 350/350 in my '58. They are a pipe style mount, adjustable for width and they rotate for angle. The rear tranny mount corner had to be trimmed off and that was the only real problem I had.