1970 Chevy c/10 from dummy lights t

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by oj70chevy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. oj70chevy

oj70chevy Member

I am converting my 1970 Chevy c/10 from dummy lights to gauges. the problem I am having is I can not find any information on the hookup of the battery or temp gauge. I have a factory manual and a circuit manual, but nether have it in there. any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
    Ralph

2. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

RE: 1970 Chevy c/10 from dummy ligh

Is the battery gauge you are installing a volt meter or an ammeter. Those are hooked up differently. A water temperature gauge kit (If electric) has a new sending unit and the gauge. If your pickup has a small block V8 then the the sending unit is on the passenger side of the vehicle under the exhaust manifold. It needs to be removed (need a big socket, probably 15/16). The new sending unit will have several adaptors to screw in the fit the vehicle. Find the right adaptor and install the new sending unit into it, then tightly screw it into the engine block. The hardware should be brass, so it can be tightened pretty snug. Make sure you don't use any threadseal or teflon tape because the sending unit has to ground to the motor. There will be a spade on the sending unit that has to be run to the back of the gauge, then there will be another spot on the back of the gauge for a light, if equipped. If it has a light then there will also be a ground wire on the gauge. If the gauge is mechanical, then there will be a solid hose that has gas in it that expands from heat and the pressure will move the needle. Then, lighting wires behind the gauge. Either way, be sure to drain the radiator to a level below the original sending unit before removing to avoid a mess. Also, there are "T" fittings available to have 2 sending units installed, if you want to have a gauge and keep the idiot light too.

Good Luck and God Bless,
    Brian

3. oj70chevy

oj70chevy Member

Brian, Thank you Very much for your help

Is the battery gauge you are installing a volt meter or an ammeter.
    Is there a specific way to tell the difference between the two?

A water temperature gauge kit (If electric) has a new sending unit and the gauge. If your pickup has a small block V8 then the the sending unit is on the passenger side of the vehicle under the exhaust manifold.
    It has a V6 250. And if i'm not mistaken I think it is on the right side right above the manifold.

Thanks
    Ralph

4. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

If the battery meter is a voltmeter it will have a needle that points to numbers between like 8 and 20. An ammeter will have a needle that points to either D or C (meaning drain or charge). An ammeter measures current, a voltmeter measures voltage.

I'm not sure where the sending unit is on a V6. I will look it up and post again when I find out for sure.

Good Luck and God Bless,
    Brian

5. oj70chevy

oj70chevy Member

Thanks for the info Brian. I will check when I get home and let you know tomorrow.

Ralph

6. oj70chevy

oj70chevy Member

7. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

The battery gauge should just need a positive and a ground hooked up to it, if you do it backwards, the needle will move backwards.

Brian

8. oj70chevy

oj70chevy Member

thanks brian:) Ill check it out this afternoon when I get home.

Ralph