Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

THAT IS VERY COOL!!! I like it better in real life than even the mock-up pics!
    You have a very unique and sharp Chevy truck, John. That's amazing.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Much Appreciated

Thanks guys. I know from the time I started drilling holes until I drove the truck out for photos I was a bit nervous as to how it would turn out.

Basically I wasn't sure that everything would be straight and true. The clips that hold the trim aren't all the same and they are not in the center of the trim.... I tend to sweat the small stuff.

A couple of my other buddies hated the mock-ups and flat out said don't do the side trim. Now that it's done I haven't had anyone say they didn't like it.

Maybe they're just being nice.. :rolleyes: Nope, I know them better than that!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Hood Pins - Feb 2015 - Design

Contemplating installing hood pins. Wanting to do something a bit better than the thin stainless scratch plates that are typically used I plan to use some 3/8" thick aluminum. Fired up the CAD station and created this design:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Hood Pins - Feb 2015 - Fabrication Post 1

Started making the hood pin scratch plates using some 3/8" aluminum plate. Used a hole saw to rough out the plates and then drilled the attachment holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then finished the hole sawing. Next I took an air grinder and cut two grooves across the face of the scratch plates (Did this as a guide for drilling the groove across the plates). Next step was to bolt the two halves together and drill the groove. Did this in about 4 steps, starting with a 1/8" bit and stepping up until finally using the 1/4" bit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Hood Pins - Feb 2015 - Fabrication Post 2

Next I bolted the two plates together using a 3/8" head bolt. It has a raised collar under the head that fit the bore of the plates fairly tight.

I chucked the 3/8" bolt into my drill press and used my angle grinder to rough in the taper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sanded finish was then filed down, and then sanded with 60 grit, followed by 320 grit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Hood Pins - Feb 2015 - Mock Up

Here are the scratch plates sitting on the hood. Still not sure if I want to use them, but it was neat making them nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

educational process...

Thanks for posting, as usual, with plenty of pictures.
    Looks good and fits with the 1960s, 1970s, era.
    I know you are aware of the need for a barrier between the dissimilar metals, what do you intend to use? Nylon disc?

I know people in Colorado drive fast, but are you afraid of hood latch failure?

It's starting to seem like us hot-rodders are alone here....

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Old School 60's Technology

Thanks Steve.

I figured the paint should act as a good enough dissimilar metal barrier, but I'll take your advice though and use something.

And yeah I have thought a time or two about not having a secondary hood latch, but the reality is I just think the hood pins are old school cool. It also fits in with the racer push truck - left over hot rod parts theme of the truck.

alone... less of us all the time, but it's all good.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  9. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

The side trim turned out great! I real like it! Hood pins are always kool!

Lakeroadster likes this.
  10. MaxHQ

MaxHQ Member

Hello to every one here !
    Been saving this thread for over a year and going over it at least couple of times a month.
    Absolutely love it, so much so that just recently bought a 66 C10 sidestep from Dallas through a friend :)
    Hope I can do some justice to it as it is going to be difficult finding the bits and pieces here in UK.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

March 05, 2015: Lakeroadster's Truck Is Headed For New Zealand

Sold the Ole Orange Crate to a fella from New Zealand. Loaded it onto a semi this morning, headed for Long Beach California, then onto a ship for the long journey to the land of the Kiwi bird.

Have fun my friend, you are in for quite the adventure!

Saying your goodbye's to an old friend is never easy...

[​IMG]

One for the road...

[​IMG]

Not a very glamorous hauler... plane white wrapper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One last look...
    [​IMG]

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I'm SHOCKED

But ;

I guess now you'll move on to your next project ? .

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

The next project is finding a new home and likely building a new shop. This one will be my 4th one.

I can only stay in one spot about 10 years and I start getting the travelin' jones. ;)

14. azbagger

azbagger Member

Holy crap, what a shock! I thought the orange crate was your #1 baby..... Thanks for all of the great tech/how to info that you shared with everyone. You are craftsman and have inspired many of us with our own projects. Funny thing, the wife and I bought a "new to us home" a few months ago that has a three car attached garage plus an RV attached stall. Looks quite a bit like the one in your pics, about 20x38 with a 12ft door. Never thought I'd be moving after age 60, but we are very happy.

Good luck in your next move, if you get too lonely go sit in that beautiful camaro you have, or is it gone as well? :eek:

Azbagger

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Moving On

I understand John ;

Now that I'm old I no longer want to move about much ~ I love to travel but always return to my little home .

Someone is going to love getting your house & shop .

Please keep us posted .

16. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks guys.

As for the Camaro, the Model A and Model T... they'll all be moving with us.

One of the reasons we are moving is to get away from the population explosions as well as the oil & gas shenanigans going on here on the front range.

The drill baby drill thing I understand, I truly get it. But I no longer choose to live in the middle of it.

17. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John, if you find that place, where there is plenty of space, no traffic, clean air, no weirdo liberals moving in, no legal pot-smoking, you know, where traditional values still exist, quietly PM me. PLEASE.
    Oh, and don't leave us here. You don't have to OWN a Chevy truck to keep on offering help!

18. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

And The Journey Continues - New Zealand Or Bust

Thanks Steve. We found a place with the first 3 bases covered :)

Got an email from the new owner of the orange crate. He included a photo the shipping company sent him, the truck, sitting in a freight warehouse, in Los Angeles. The fluorescent lights sure don;t do the paint justice...

[​IMG]

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

it's -GONE- !

*SNIF* .

Yes : don't go leaving us just yet John .

20. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Nate.

We just signed the documents on a home, up near the Continental Divide in the Colorado mountains... it has a 14 foot ceiling in the attached garage... and the real estate agent didn't even mention it in the listing?

I am at a loss as to why a home with such appeal to motor head types isn't marketed to motor head types? Oh well, their oversight is my gain.

I'll get some shop photos posted here eventually... We've got a bunch of stuff to move and a 30 x 40 x 9 foot high building to design and erect.

Life Iz Guud...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015