Loss of Antifreeze

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by daj67, Feb 1, 2005.

1. daj67

daj67 Member

My friend has a 72 chevrolet pickup that is leaking antifreeze. Each time he fills up the radiator and starts driving it, he loses antifreeze from the overflow and then when it is parked and engine cooled down, he opens the radiator cap and cannot see any antifreeze in the radiator. I am puzzled. Any help would be appreciated.

D. Jones

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Replace the thermostat. It sounds like it's not opening...

DVal

3. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

Hey guys, I have a 70 pickup and I had the exact same problem. If the motor is not overheating, then the thermostat should be ok. The problem with mine was actually the radiator cap; the spring had worn out and it wasn't holding enough pressure, so I was losing fluid out the overflow. If you can determine that the fluid isn't going out the overflow then the head gaskets are suspects. They can be checked with a simple compression test on all of the cylinders. But remember the radiator has a fill line that is about 3/4, if you overfill the radiator than you will lose some out the overflow. It should hold enough that you can see the fluid though. Hope this helps.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Brian

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Good call Brian ! I think you are correct...

DV

5. daj67

daj67 Member

Thanks for all of the help. I wondered about the thermostat however I never thought about the radiator cap. He couldn't tell what the temperature was because it has a idiot lights instead of guages. he plans on changing this problem. Thanks again!