How best to install drive shaft

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Jim G, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Jim G

Jim G Member

Need some advice on installing the drive shaft on a 53 Chevy pick-up. First a little background: I 'trashed' the U joint and cracked the tranny case and had to replace all. We have installed the 'new' tranny and now need to detach and clean out/up the drive shaft and the differential. In terms of order, does it matter if the differential is fixed first and then to re-install the drive shaft or first the shaft? Thanks for your advice.:confused:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

DriveShaft Service

Open drive line or Torque Tube ? .

3. Jim G

Jim G Member

drive shaft connection

The drive shaft is a covered one
    I'm just hoping that to make the connection we don't have to remove the whole drive line, differential and rear axle. help is appreciated.
    Jim

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Torque Tube Service

I see .

The outer tube housing is removable , there are screws holding it to the pumpkin then it can be *carefully* slid off the drive shaft proper allowing you to clean inside it and wipe off any SWARF or crud from the drive shaft....

There's a support bushing & seal just inside the front end of this tube , it occasionally needs replacing .

I expected others who have taken their rigs apart to have chimed in by now .

5. Jim G

Jim G Member

drive shaft connection

Thanks and I can still use more advice on taking off drive shaft for 53 chevy