Dropped axle

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

C notches install.

Thanks fore the answer Russ and the web link. Do i have to cut out the same diametre of the excisting frame as the c notches diametre and weld the steel c notches in to the frame instead ?

Martinius.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Yes.
    Or make your own.

3. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Hey Martinius, any updates?

I'm thinking about going this route, and am wondering about your experience.
    It's pricey, but looks relatively straightforward.

Anyone else done this and care to chime in?

Also - Sid's website mentions the option to narrow the axle for "some" disc brake kits.
    Insight into when that might be necessary or desirable?
    I'm planning to add discs, but keep the 6-lug pattern (I picked up an open six lug rear).

Thanks, Y'all.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  4. Chiro

Chiro Member

Front disc

If you go with the front disc conversion from Buffalo Enterprises http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/ you don't have to worry about narrowing the axle as his disc conversion kit does NOT change the width of the front wheel contact to ground measurement.

Andy

5. Zig

Zig Member

6. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

where are you guys getting your dropped axles from ?
    you guys mention sids for axle where is sid located?
    i was also thinking of a dropped axle cheaper cost wise over a mustang II plus its all bolt in.
    thanks Robert

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

8. coilover

coilover Member

Robert,
    I like your thinking. Everyone is rushing towards the MII conversions or ifs front clips when straight axles can be made to run straight, ride good, handle, and turn easy for a fraction of the cost. Dragsters are running well over 300mph now and they ALL have straight axles; not much "wander" there. My wife's fishing truck is a 1964 Ford which was the last year for the straight axle before they went to the #!&*% twin I-Beam set up. I rebuilt/replaced every single part that could wear and then installed caster wedges to give a six or seven degree increase over factory which makes it go arrow straight down the road but increases steering effort a bunch. A Toyota p/s box is the cats meow for straight axles trucks so in it went along with a p/b booster and polypropylene strips between the spring leaves (teflon is too soft, thicker, and tears up easily). A sway bar and good shocks wrapped it up and gave a driver as good as the newer trucks. Since it is used a bunch off road the ride height stayed the same as I was afraid to lower the back because all the fish she is going to catch might bottom it out.

9. wolffcub

wolffcub Member

I never see people mention the dropped axles from CPP. they look like this, 2" or 3" drop options. I already have a set of new dropped leafs that dropped mine 2.75" plus the 2" drop axle would make it just right for me.

[​IMG]