What brand of maintenance fluids for 1954

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

I know that the same fluids that were made in 1954 aren't necessarily available in 2015.

When I have the fluid levels check and oil changes, what should I use?

Motor Oil

Transmission Fluid for a Hydramatic

Anti-freeze

I want to know so that were I take the truck to have maintenance, I want to make sure I tell them exactly what I need.

I have done some research, and now what an updated answer--as most of them are dated clear back to 2001 or earlier.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The DREADED OIL THREAD

The brand isn't really important as long as you use good quality lubricants .

Hydromatic Drive requires Typ 'A' ATF , IIRC Dexron is the current replacement , I use it in my TH350 and Saginaw Squish power steering , no problems .

The engine oil gets a bit tricky as everyone has their own ideas but in general you want multi - grade oils , synthetics if you can afford them .

90 + % of all engine wear occurs at startup so using the thinner grades (10W-40 instead of 20W-50 for example) allows the oil to get up out of the pan and begin lubricating faster , making for longer lived engines .

Changing lubricants when BLISTERING HOT is the single most important thing as that's then the crud you want rid of , is fully suspended in the lubricant and flows right on out ~ go look at my 250 CID thread over in the '67 ~ '72 pages to see what the inside of an old engine than burns a quart of oil every 150 miles and fouls the spark plugs in 150 ~ 250 miles can look like *if* you do regular HOT oil and filter changes .

Of course , hot oil scalds the Mechanic's hands (mine look like a horror movie prop) so few Mechanics will ever touch a hot engine these days .

Best of luck , read ALL the replies and follow what seems best .

3. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

Thank you Nate

I am going to a local mechanic shop tomorrow and I wanted to make sure that I find someone who can do my oil and transmission fluid changes, etc.

You are always a big help!

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Routine Service

Well ;

Truth be told , I highly suggest holding off until others chime in here , we have more than one Hydromatic equipped truck owner here (and insanely JEALOUS me !) , I imagine they'll be more up to date on the what and where's....

One cannot be too cautious when allowing others to touch your Machinery ~ SWMBO speaks for her self , my old truck is mute s I have to speak for it .

5. ssexton1

ssexton1 Member

I agree about having someone else touch my truck, but unfortunately when you are not a mechanic, I am a little vulnerable.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

All the more reason to proceed slowly my Dear .

Are there any Members here near K.C. ? .

Chime in please .

7. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Dextron for the H-M. Nate will be the guru of what goes in the oil pan.

8. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

You know...If I were you...besides doing the above suggestions...which I will not touch, except for the high quality stuff...yes! I would find someone to take a little time...and yourself...and learn to do it yourself or at least have the smarts to do it yourself. You never know when that will come in handy.

Not only when it will come in handy, but you will get to know when....on the road...wow! that oil does not look right, oops this trip is a lot longer than I thought, or to explain to others when in another town and something happened sooner than 2000 miles, or whatever.

That is thinking of 1940's or 1950's or 1960's and a little beyound. And you will know it is done right. I know for a fact that my parents paid some .......
    in the past that were supposed to be oil and plug changes and came out wrong....oil was not fresh(and probably the filter) and three different plugs after paying for all new ones....not!

You get to know your truck better on a deeper level...it is almost a spiritual thing. Unless one plans on it being one of modern world throw away society type plastic things.

There are some routine service things I do that have resulted from seeing what MY Truck is doing and feeling. I even did an oil change recently on the road...no big thing, except it was a very long road trip. You don't want to get into all the tools and stuff...it is the knowledge that counts more.

rod

9. 51papy

51papy Member

I am not a mechanic! But, I agree with Rod. Research the web, old posts and ASK questions. This forum is the only reason my truck got on the road last year. The truck is no beauty queen body work is a long way from perfect but except paint it was all done here in my shop. There's plenty of help and experience here use it. You can do it. I'm south of KC let me know if you need some help...again I am not a mechanic but this ain't rock science either.

Have fun...don' fight it!

Papy

10. 52wasp

52wasp Member

as always

Nate hit it on the head... Use good quality stuff.

With a vehicle that is only driven occasionally, fluid changes (oil in particular) are calendar-based more than mileage. If you are on a road trip, and the "service interval" comes up... I wouldn't worry about changing the oil RIGHT NOW.

And as Rod said, being involved under the hood will let you "get to know your truck on a deeper level". You can entrust a mechanic for the maintenance, but get to know whats going on under the hood. Does the oil look like OIL, or does it look like MOLASSES? Does the brake fluid look like brown goo? Is the coolant the same color as it was when fresh? Stuff like that.

Good Luck.