Getting closer

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Mar 28, 2015.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Preparing for our long distance run in the old 37 Buick and looking forward to maybe meeting Zig, Sandy, and Papy on route. Put a booster unit on the stock brakes which really hauls the heavy monster to a stop. If we decide to circle west after the Minnesota visit I'm leaning towards putting on some sintered iron brake shoes for mountain running with drum brakes. I have an extra set so could put the regular ones back on later and save a lot of wear on the drums for regular use. Installed tubular shocks on all four corners as I'm getting tired of shelling out the better part of a grand to get the knee action fronts and lever action rears rebuilt. Also new stabilizer links and bushings front and rear and sent the steering gear box to Lare's for a redo. Three point seat belts and self cancelling (motor cycle) turn signals are next in line. Goes to the muffler shop tomorrow for a new QUIET muffler. The old one used to be quiet but is getting real raspy even though the outside still looks good. The straight 8 has a real monotonous drone to it on a long trip. I seldom use a radio but I have the original factory 1937 tube type radio which I might gut the case and put a modern radio in while keeping the 37 face plate---make wife happy. Trunk is not real big so after an extra fuel pump, water pump, distributor, tools, and fire extinguisher, traveling clothes and supplies will have to settle for the back seat. I've been checking ebay for an old Sears magnet on the driveshaft cruise control unit but nothing yet. I use the heck out of one if available. The straight eight is so torquey that the vacuum wipers never quit on regular hills but maybe should grab an electric vacuum pump out of a Mercedes diesel for the mountains. For each thing I remember I'd bet I'm forgetting two. I guess that's why some call it an adventure rather than a trip. Each day I give thanks for present gas prices as the old Buick can cruise 70mph but never has enough speed to pass many gas stations.

2. 51papy

51papy Member

Evan

Looking forward to meeting you and your wife and seeing your ride.

Papy

3. Zig

Zig Member

"Maybe"???

Evan, whatever it takes to get you to stop by, even for a couple of minutes (....HA!!!....) let me know what that would take! You have no idea how much that would mean to me to be able to meet you and shake your hand! ...and then put you to work on my truck so I can get it finished~ Hey, you aren't in a hurry, so what's a few days in Kansas? ;)

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Road Trip !

Sounds like fun Evan .

Mercedes S Klasse sedans from 1981 > all have a very nice electric vacuum pump , it's either in the R.R. of the spare tire well or under the right side of the rear seat in W-126 models , it depends on what year but all Pick-A-Part Junk Yards are loaded with these fine cars right now .

Bobby Odell would be so happy to see your '37 Buick ~ he had three but stopped driving them in (IIRC) the 1970's as his drinking took over .

FWIW , I just go look for Malaise Era American cars as they all seem to have a # 10 fruit can with vacuum nipple on it , plump this into the wiper feed with a check valve in the engine feed and you should be good to go .