Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Mar 3, 2011.

1. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Oh very cool!! Thanks for the update.

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow !!!

Now I'm jealous. Beautiful place! You might need a snowmobile more than that John Deere lawn tractor.
    I agree with you completely about not wanting to live on the front range.

3. Zig

Zig Member

Well that will do~ Daaaaaaang what a nice looking place!!!
    Bummer for a lot of us about your old truck, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Now you can find you a 49-54 GMC and carry on.
    Congratulations on the new digs! I remember spending half of my life no longer than 4 years in one spot. It really got to the point where I only unpacked the boxes I knew I would need to. That's kind of a fun way to go. My truck has me tied down currently... I can't move on if it can't. ;)
    Looking forward to pictures of the inside of that garage.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Moving

Nice place John ! if not for the snow , I'd be jealous :p .

Zig , I too moved a lot in my youth , it was a big deal for me to live in one place longer than a few months much less a year , I think this is bad for Children .

Why I liked getting jailed in a Farm ~ I was there for several years and always knew where I'd wake up , three hots and a cot , plenty of work to do to keep me out of mischief (not :p) .

I eagerly await seeing John's next project .

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Enjoy all four seasons..........

Snow... you don't like snow Nate? Ever snowshoe'd in the forest on fresh snow? It's amazing, the tranquility and serenity is hard to describe, but easily shared with photos.

[​IMG]

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Snow

LOL ! John ;

Where I grew up that is just a light dusting .

Yes , I love how it looks and the quietude , I especially liked my late nights watching it fall silently....

I almost died in it a couple times , frost bite hurts like a b*tch , I always hated being wet & cold as a Child so I don't miss it much atall .

I kept snow shoes in Los Angeles for a couple decades as when first I arrived here I'd drive up to the snow every Winter , get some wild Mistletoe for the door frame etc. but in time I tossed them out along with my long cross country skis .

So , no comments on my Torque Converter Bolts ? .

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Colorful Colorado...

My question is this: Do you have a over-the garage apartment? Or a camper cabin out back? Or a Mini-barn? Or a tent-site? I'm planning my summer Jeep trip now.

And for the first time, my wife says she wants to go. Don't know how she will handle shelf-roads.

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Just kidding, John, we will stay at the KOA.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

It's all good Steve. Let me know when your headed for the mountains... maybe we can grab a burger and a brewski.

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Well we terminated the contract on the home I posted a photo of above.

In the end the square footage listed for the home and the lot size were both incorrectly stated.

Title search showed issues with the lot survey dating back to 2002 and 2014. Not little issues, but 50 foot issues with neighbors 5th wheel RV sitting on the wrong property issues . Both surveys's that highlighted issues recommended a Boundary Survey be performed.

The Sellers Realtor kept saying it wasn't a big deal, no worries, that he had "his surveyor look at it and say it was ok." Cool, then make it official and perform the boundary survey.

I called the county zoning manager, nice guy, he knew about the discrepancy and said "yeah, things are really screwed up there, you need a boundary survey".

We spent a couple days up there measuring lot lines and with the 50 foot discrepancy and 40 foot setback rules couldn't determine where or if the 30 x 46 outbuilding would work.

When our realtor said the sellers would not pay for a boundary survey in the end we determined it just wasn't meant to be.

So we're on the hunt again.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Better Safe than sorry ~ .

If the seller didn't want to pony up for the Survey , there are prolly other problems he knows about he hopes you didn't discover .

12. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Bummer. I agree, I would think the seller would be glad to have the survey done to make it easier to firm up a sale.

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks guys.

The other things that bothered us were:

• 3/4 mile of dirt roads from the house to the nearest paved road. That's not ideal for a guy that also owns (2) open wheeled, non fendered hot rods & a 1st gen Camaro.
    • Cedar siding that needs stained every other year.

We're heading back to our original goals: smaller home & low maintenance.

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Sorry to hear your deal fell through. I think Nate's right, there is more to this. He's crazy if he screwed-up the sale over the cost of a survey.
    Sounds like a neighbor too close anyway, if he's got his RV on the property.
    I know one thing about Colorado, land ownership that would concern me, esp. High in the mountains. That is water-rights.
    My brother has a friend who owns a cabin in a development, purchased in the 1970s, where someone else owns the water-rights. It is my understanding, they could shut off the whole development if need be.
    Keep looking, you will find the right place.

15. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Wow...being away from the forum for a few weeks left me clueless about the sale of your truck and the plan to relocate. I'm shocked that you sold the truck. However, I have done similar things a few times. Most to be regretted later. I wish I had my 37 Ford streetrod back, as well as my 49 Studebaker truck streetrod. But as is always the case with folks like us....we fill the voids with new exciting projects.

I wish you luck in the search for a new home. Be careful...totally honest sellers and realtors are not as common as they used to be. Not to mention the abundance of A-hole neighbors. It's just the USA today....very sad. I've learned, at least in my case, that mistakes made later in life are more difficult to correct. I regret my move in 2005 from S/E Arizona back to my home state of Arkansas. My old bones remind me of it daily during each long cold spell of dreary weather.

Take care my forum friend. Keep us informed:)

16. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Water rights can be bizzarre. The place we now have a contract on has it's own well. You can only use it for in house use... can't even wash your car.

That's pretty much typical. Some folks have an augmented well which allows for other usage, typically agriculture and livestock.

Water rights and Mineral rights, it's an eye opening experience. Back in Ohio we trenched fields and installed drainage pipe to get the water off our property.

Here in Colorado there's an open irrigation ditch running across our property and we can't use the water.

It's all good though. I'm a big believer in knowing the rules up front and then following them.

That's one reason we are moving... we have great HOA rules here, and few people follow them, even though they all agreed to them when they moved in. It's an ethics and civility issue, and some folks don't have either. Instead they blame others and make excuses for their actions. Same old story, same old song and dance.

Thanks... I really don't miss the Orange Crate, too busy doing other stuff. And I have the other stablemates too.

Really love the way your truck turned out. It needs a new name though, "Ratnest" no longer fits. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  17. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks John....you and several other forum members well remember how terrible this basket case looked when I got it home. And that it looked even worse after sand blasting. I'll keep referring to it as "Ratnest" out of habit if for no other reason. It did turn out to be a sweet daily driver though:)

18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow

I could not live in a place where I could not wash my car. I voluntarily ceased washing vehicles two summers ago, when Indiana was experiencing the worst drought in my lifetime. That was to save my well for the necessities.
    As for HOA's, could not do that either. My business would be dis-allowed, as well as target-shooting, flag flying, low pass overflights by my friends and myself..., as well as any other thing determined un-desirable by the association.
    I'm more of a fewer rules is better kind of guy, but, then again, the world is becoming a land of freaks and weirdos I don't want to live by.
    Wonder if I could find a private island with only a airstrip, boat dock, and of course, a winding road around the perimeter for hot laps in, well, whatever.

I'm sure there are those who don't want to live by me, either. Ha Ha.

19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

There's always the local car wash for the daily drivers Steve. Or if it really bothered me I could always buy a H2O storage tank and put it in my pickup. In fact I have never "water hose or power washed" my Camaro, Model A or Model T in the last 11 years. I bucket wash the bugs off and keep them covered in the garage.

When we lived in Ohio we built a target range in the back field of our 5 acre lot. It had high earthen walls... no problems.

I think for the most part folks like us (you, I and the others here) are crafty enough to design our way out of about any issue that may arise.

As for the HOA's, I am sure they are out there that allow everything you speak of, except the low pass overflights.. I believe that is an FAA violation.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/randy-rhoads-plane-crash/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

quarter drop car washes....

Yes, John, I thought of the local car wash. The ones around here are not very good. The times I go, I always have to spray-mit wash-rinse, and tie-up the bay too long. That is not an option when it's a pretty summer Saturday, with a line of people waiting.
    After posting, I thought maybe you could install rain barrels at the downspouts, for extra water. They actually sell commercial ones made of plastic and fiberglass at Menards stores here in Indiana.
    On the topic of HOA's, I was stretching the limit on what one would or should do. I realize they apply to sub-divisions, and it would be reckless to target-shoot, or low-pass fly over. The ones I've read or been told about here will not allow a truck over one ton, no business graphics on vehicles unless garaged, always, some literally restrict the flying of flags, (incl. Amer. Flag), and allow you to paint your home trim colors from an approved list. I realize people move-in knowing the rules, I just would not accept rules like that. Good thing I have been blessed with the ability to live 10 miles from town in corn-country.
    The rule on low flight is generally 500 feet from a structure, or gathering of people, except for practice emergency manuvers, or work, as in "cropdusting". That can be 500 feet above or 500 feet lateral.
    When I was a young pilot, and my flying friends were young, sins were committed I confess. That used to be the way to summon your friends to the airport. As a 55 year old pilot, you would not think I'm the same guy. Too many results like the one in your link.
    I'm anxious to see what you end up with. Hope you get what you want. Every time I read your post, it takes me to the mountains in my thoughts, my favorite place to get-away.
    P.S. Your next truck project may be waiting for you at Longmont. See Bill's thread.