I got another one!

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 66 Truck Drive, Mar 12, 2015.

1. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      156.7 KB
      Views:
    Woogeroo likes this.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Another Jewel

That looks nice .

Those V-6's are nearly impossible to kill off if you take any sort of care of it .

BLISTERING HOT oil & filter changes will get it cleaned out and running well .

FRAM prolly still makes the adapter kit to get rid of the awful cartridge filter it came with when new .

Convert it to any sort of breakerless ignition and open those spark plugs up to at least .035" and try to not twist the drive shaft off , it's *very* easy to do if the tires hook up .

If it seems ' doggy ' in the power but has decent compression , replace the cam chain and both gears to wake it right the heck up :p .

Enjoy ! .

3. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Thanks for the reply! Yeah its getting an oil change...far as I can tell this one has a spin on filter..if that makes any difference. I'm gonna do a pertronix conversion, new cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs, and am thinking in the future to do the 500 holley swap. Very common and heard alot of good things about it. lol As she sits now she'll almost burn the tires in 2nd by hammering the gas...but the carb has hesitation from years of wear and years of no fuel filter. :confused: But after literally spraying half a can of berry man b12 through the carb while the engine was running it helped quite a bit. But she starts and runs like a champ so I'm happy.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Before New Carby

Try tuning it sharply after you've added the Pertronix and opened up those spark plugs to .040" ~ it's run great and shouldn't have any hesitation , try about 8 ~ 10 ? BTDC ignition timing @ idle of 700 RPM or less , should be NO VACUUM on the dizzy hose @ idle .

Instant FULL Vacuum as soon as the foot feed is pressed .

5. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

I tried my pertronix but I'm missing something. lol So I settled with a new set of points I have. GM specs are 5 degrees btdc at 450 rpm idle. I have done a tune up..oil change, plugs, plug wires, new distributor cap, points, and coil. She's running fine...I do have a leaky head gasket. Will replace that. Actually am gonna do both for the heck of it. lol Then I'm probably gonna have my intake machined to fit a quadra jet and maybe bolt on a set of magnum heads from a 351 or something. I don't know...all future plans. lol

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      153.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      145.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Looks very original...very nice find:)

7. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Thanks! Yep its perrty much untouched. :)

8. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Very nice find, congrats. Use to drive a 66 1 1/2 ton with a small V6, 4spd 2 spd vacuum rear diff, pulled like a bull on our hills around here. I have the larger brother to your engine, 432 cubes. My Fatherinlaw said he had to be careful who he let drive the dump it was in...axles were getting hard to find. Have fun with it.

9. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Yeah they're torque monsters for darn sure. lol

10. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Been awhile, But I got ol Crustine running darn good. 2 barrel wasn't enough for me so I put a 4 barrel on the ol V6....issue is I can't shift quick enough! lol

Attached Files:

• 067.jpg
      067.jpg
      File size:
      122.7 KB
      Views:
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Almost impossible to wear these V6's out .

They're thirsty beasts though .

12. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Oh yeah. lol It loves that 4 barrel for sure. Heck, now I need a bang shifting tremec! lol

13. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Woogeroo likes this.
  14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

SWEET ! .

Do you need to run mufflers with the V6's ? .

15. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Thanks! I don't think you Have to run mufflers. I ran mine without a muffler and it sounded pretty good. lol Stinkin loud that was fer sure!

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

FWIW , a crossover as close to the engine as is prudent , ill make it run slightly better and make a deeper , nicer exhaust tone .

I like to run an open exhaust and don't like tickets .

Tricky to do with a V-8 , not difficult with any 6 cylinder engines , just run long pipes to the rear bumper .

17. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Yeah, 6 banger's are fairly quiet straight piped. But they are perrty loud at 4000 rpm. lol My V6 got real loud at 2500 rpm. Same with the flowmasters....all the noise happens at 2500 rpm and then above it gets quiet. With my 292 that had flowmasters the noise got Real loud at 3500 RPM....and I mean LOUD. lol

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

There are different types of loud , some can be very loud indeed but not bother the Gendarmes.....

I was buzzing up the freeway this morning @ 0-Dark:30 about 90 MPH and realized I have the radio up fairly loud to hear over my mufferless old Mercedes Diesel Sports Coupe...

19. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Yeah, I was in a neighborhood and was accelerating....with the windows down it was amazing how much the sound waves bounced off the houses. haha Love it!

20. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Been doing some towing with the ol gal. Towed my 47 Case with her....bout a 5000 pound load. Then I towed my kubota with her....that was about a 9500 pound load. lol The ol V6 pulled like a champ! 012 (2).JPG 013 (2).JPG 014 (2).JPG

Woogeroo likes this.