Curious about cab designs

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by truckie_ff, Oct 2, 2000.

1. truckie_ff

truckie_ff Member

I am currently working on my 79 C10. I am wondering if there were major redesigns in the cab between 79 and 87. I found a real sweet setup from an 87 I would like to use, but am afraid that it will not fit in the cab. By appearance the only difference is the size of the grill and the front fenders have a different crease in them. I am sure there are more differences. Any help is appreciated.

PS: I will be visiting your warehouse on Oct 3rd to pick some stuff up............the girls on the phones are wonderful to talk to, very helpful!!!!
    R Cook
    "Truckie_ff@yahoo.com"

2. Greg

Greg Member

Owning a 1975 I have found all sorts of differences in the cabs. Most a cosmetic. I don't think you can put a 87 dash in your truck, but I'm not sure. They might have changed the gauges enough to not fit.

3. basketcase

basketcase Member

I think that the hood hinge mounting changed on the firewall in '81 when they changed the front end styling. This would mean that a '81 to '87 hood will not bolt on a '73 to '80.

4. truckie_ff

truckie_ff Member

I scrapped the 87 dash theory and put a custom made aluminum Panel in. Thanks for your advice though. And you are right on the 81-87 hoods. I also found that 81-87 guages will fit into the 79 dash. Another difference is how the fenders match up to the cab. One is straight and one is angled......beleive me...LOL
    Thanks again.
    Ron C