Mexican 1955 1st Series Restoration

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Milo75, May 9, 2015.

1. Milo75

Milo75 Member

Hi guys!

After lurking this forum for a long while and really learning a lot from all the great input here, I finally decided to write up my own build thread of my AD. This will be the first time for me posting anything so I'll try my best!

A little background: I have been involved with the hobby since high school, when I purchased a 56 belair (which I drove for a few years but now pending restoration), but I've always wanted and AD. After looking at several ones that were too far gone, I finally found a very good 1955 1st series back in Nov. 2013 and promptly set my mind to restore it the best I can.

Being based down here in Mexico, parts and vendors are hard to come by, so I've have now become a sort of ebay junkie (a sort of extreme sport!:eek:) trying to find all the hard to find stuff since I wanted to replicate a deluxe model, so some parts like the stainless windshield trim, clock housing, and other parts really took some patience to locate.

I'm well along into the build, but still a long way to go! I promise to post pictures often (I know everyone likes that, as I've learned a lot that way!) and will try to keep it interesting. I'm really looking forward to all the insight from you guys as well!

Enough words. Now pictures!:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Milo75

Milo75 Member

It was really in rough shape; rotted cab corners, floors, bed wood was gone (expected), interior was totally shot. The fuel tank had holes in it, the brakes were gone (broken drums and no master cylinder), and the engine hadn't run in years.

It was mostly complete though, so I bought in on the spot. These are some pics of the day I bought it.

Attached Files:

3. Milo75

Milo75 Member

Disassembly begins! I had to use a torch on the back fender bolts.:mad:

Attached Files:

4. Zig

Zig Member

I love it!

Bringing another one back to life!
    You know the way to our hearts~ PICTURES!
    You're right, it looks like a fine body with the expected rust spots. It's cool that you have an open drive at the axle. I guess this was typical of '55's?
    Lots of possibilities. :cool:
    Welcome to the best dang forum around, and keep the pictures coming!

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome milo !

Or should I say ' Beinvenido ' ? :) .

Your truck is actually in rather good shape , I eagerly await your sharing the blood sweat , tears , more blood , Dr's visits, blood & skin , more ~ oops .

Will this be a restoration (stock) or Hot Rod (V-8 AC , suspension etc.) ? .

Is that firewall color original ? I rather like it .

I no longer have an Advance Design but like any right minded Person I do have a 6 cylinder Generous Motors Corporation light duty pickup truck , a 1969 CHEVROLET C/10 , details can be seen on the '67 ~ '72 forum here if you're interested .

I'm over due for a posting now .

The good folks here will have the answer to _any_ question or problem you might have , I have never been able to stump them yet .

Parts too , just ask as several here have stashes of good used parts plus the Hot Rodders always have left over stock bits lying around to sell .

6. Milo75

Milo75 Member

Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome!

Zig, all 55 1st Series 1/2 tons had an open drive line, so that has made things a bit less complicated.

Nate, besides the blood sweat and tears, there has been a lot of cussing involved :rolleyes: but it's part of the fun. I enjoy a good challenge..

The idea is to restore the truck as best as reasonably possible to showroom condition, but replicating a Deluxe model with all the extras. My truck is a base model 3100 and was originally Juniper green (hidden under 5 coats of paint), so I don't think the orange firewall is original.

I will post more pictures of the progress in a little while! I have to run to get some bolts I need and get some woodwork done this afternoon for the bed!

7. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Milo That truck looks like a great platform to start with.

All of those layers of paint may be a blessing when it comes to rust. If the drive train is original you just saved a lot of searching as rebuilding is easy compared to trying to find original parts. Looks great so far keep up the good work.
    Mike

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Milo,
    Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride while here. Thanks for posting the photos it looks like you have a great truck to work on.

Charles