Replacing throttle linkage with cable linkage

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 58fleetside, Apr 25, 2015.

1. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

I am thinking about replacing the original throttle linkage with a cable linkage on my 58 235.
    Has anyone done this?
    Any tips on how it is done?
    Where can I get one?

Thamks

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Linkage

I used a cable set-up to replace the original. It came from Auto Zone. I replaced the old gas pedal with a new set-up made for hotrods and it came from a local swap meet. Works good. You can see a picture that shows some of it, go to photos and look under 58pache and at the one that shows the engine. One of the pics that shows the interior shows the gas pedal. Hope this helps.
    The new linkage required drilling some new holes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cable Linkage

Yep ;

Lotsa good ones out there ~ if you're rich just google " Lokar " and you're all set .

Otherwise time to hunt the junkyards , be sure to grab the pedal Ay. too .

4. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Lokar

Lokar makes top of the line stuff. My tranny shifter is a Lokar, works better than advertised. And you are right, their products cost more than others but if ya can afford it, buy it, you will not be disappointed.

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Smooth Throttle Cable by Mark Brazelton

My Truckin Pal Markeb01 did an excellent write up on swapping in a 1971-72 C10 OEM cable throttle unit on his 1960 GMC. Here's a link to Mark's article on Persh's web site: Smooth Throttle Cable by Mark Brazelton

6. coilover

coilover Member

If using a junkyard cable the Ford cable is much easier to use than the Chevy. It doesn't have the weird triangular mount with the short tubes under each hole, just uses a round hole in the firewall, has a floating gas pedal, and best of all the return spring is built into the cable. On some applications (like my straight 8 Buick) where the cable has to make some very sharp bends I used 3/16 steel tubing that was bent to fit and then a hood release cable was run through it with the carb and pedal ends then attached. Each end of the tubing is belled so it doesn't abrade the cable and mount tabs are brazed on. Has lasted 30 yrs and still going strong so those hood release cables must be one tough puppy.