Rear Leaf Spring Hangers for a 1969 GMC PU

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Dano4163, May 21, 2015.

1. Dano4163

Dano4163 Member

Hi there,
    I'm new to the forum, just joined yesterday. I recently acquired a 1969 GMC 1/2 ton pickup. I'm in the process of restoring it. Right now I have the body off and have it taken all the way down to the frame rails. I am currently sanding and wirebrushing the frame getting it ready to paint. The problem I have run across is that I need rear leaf spring hangers. One is completely shot and the other three are questionable. I've looked everywhere that I can think of and am not having any luck. Does anyone know where I can get these parts? If not can I swap out the rear end and springs with a newer truck like a 1973 to 1987? Any help would be great.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome dano !

I have no idea but I'm sure someone sells these important parts .

3. Dano4163

Dano4163 Member

That's what I thought. Not having any luck tho. I know where I can get the remains of a 77 or 78 chevy truck as a donor. It looks to be close, the springs look to be narrower tho and the bolt pattern looks to be off a little on the hangers, hard to tell just by looking tho. I don't want to spend the money to buy the truck if I can't use the parts. Looks like I may have to try to revive what little fabrication skills I have.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Spring Hangers & Bushings

I'm trying to remember : maybe ' Flagg ' brand ? not many carry these parts but most Commercial Spring Shops seem to have them .

A buddy of mine had problems finding spring hangers & bushings for his '54 Chevy Sedan , I told him ' Flagg ' and lo ! he found them on the shelf of a local spring shop , had to match them up but they were a *perfect8 match / fit etc.

Cheap too , American made no less .

Maybe try Tractor Supply or a trailer shop ? .

5. Dano4163

Dano4163 Member

Spring hangers

Right now I have a lead on a place out of Detroit Michigan. They are called Eaton Detroit Spring Inc. E-mailed them Friday, haven't heard back yet, got my fingers crossed. Website says they have 24,000 blueprints. I just hope mine is one of them.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Eaton Springs

Eaton makes *very* good stuff although not cheap and they're not shy about lying to you and over charging for special springs when what you want is a standard item .

No regrets , just be careful here .

7. Dano4163

Dano4163 Member

Spring Hangers

Never did get a reply from Eaton Spring. And the hunt goes on!