The Ole 52

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coonkka, Nov 11, 2013.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I am so sorry to hear this Karen ;

Never forget , he was there for and with you all that time , you're very lucky there , he will always be in your heart .

2. Zig

Zig Member

Prayers go out to you and your family, Karen.
    I can only imagine the amount of grief that your dad's passing is bringing you, but some day that truck will be among his greatest gifts, and his way of staying right there with you. Prayers you find peace soon.

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Sorry to hear you lost your best Friend.

4. coonkka

coonkka Member

Many Thanks

Thank You for all the kind words and your right the day I get to drive her down the road will be a day to remember for sure. I promised him we'd have a shot of whiskey when we got it on the road. The progress is so slow but moving along. Thanks Again to my Truck Family.. :)

5. coonkka

coonkka Member

Tks Nate..

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

Karen, sorry to hear that news. We will all be thinking of you and praying for you and your family.

One amazing thing is that you can never take any of those memories away!

7. coonkka

coonkka Member

problem is

problem is I feel like it's never gonna get done now that I have no one to help me. It's been at least 10 yrs in the making of this ole truck with it burning once and starting all over again for the second time. I guess deep down I kind of knew Dad wouldn't make it this last time to see her on the road. I did order some new parts for her today fuel tank and sending unit and I hope to get that installed next week. For the fun part I have to put my welding skills to the test and believe me that's not much and make brace to hold tank to the frame I have some angle iron I grabbed off an old bed frame and now to see if I can do it or not. Wish me luck and I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thanks for the ear...

8. Zig

Zig Member

You have the same helper we all have~

Just look up.

I understand your feeling of being overwhelmed. At the same time, I love the fact you ordered what you did. Your dad may be physically gone, but in spirit, he will always be right there with you, helping you turn every wrench.
    I sure as heck plan on doing that for my daughter.
    We are here for you too. I'm glad you know that. ;)
    ...and you weld!... Looking forward to pictures, Lord know we have welders on this site that can answer any questions, right?

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bit By Bit

Karen ;

Just keep at it , it doesn't need to be a show rig , your Pops will be looking over your shoulder as you work .

Basic canvas or nylon webbing can be used to isolate the fuel tank from rubbing holes in the straps . very cheap stuff .

YOU WELD ! (imagine little heart here) .

10. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Karen, So sorry for your loss. Keep those good memories as you continue the project. My Dad passed away about midway through, and my Father in Law worked with me through the finish and only rode in Clarabelle one time before he also was taken. Every time I go somewhere in my pickup I think of one or both of them . It will get easier.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Moving Forward

Karen ;

Consider looking into your local Community College to see if they have an Auto Restoration Class , they may be willing to take it on as a Class project , you supply the parts , they supply the blood , sweat & tears....

No matter what , your Father will always be with you ~ he was there and part of what you've accomplished so far , no one can ever take that away .

He'll be riding shotgun with your forever more .

12. coonkka

coonkka Member

Many TKS

Well Guys THANKS for all the kind words and the advise on the fuel tank. HA HA on the welding and my Dad did teach me a little bit on that subject and I'm sure I'll make a lot of mistakes before I get it right.. But hey I can grind it down and make it look good right?? I didn't even think about something on the straps to keep them from rubbing holes in tank. Gonna do that to tks.. Pluggin along for now. :)

13. Zig

Zig Member

Keep us in the loop with some pictures, okay? ;)
    I just got mine to fire up and stay running for a bit today before I backed off the idle and it died. I am SO hoping to get this rig rolling so I can give my mom and dad a ride in it.

14. coonkka

coonkka Member

RIde along

Well I know what you mean Zig I wish mine could hv got done for my Dad. Don't waste any time get her done. I see you live in Pittsburg thats not to far from me. I just received the fuel tank and gonna try and get that in this week. We are having the Memorial Service for my Dad on Sunday so pretty busy right now but it'll get done. Hopefully sooner than later..

15. Zig

Zig Member

All the best your way, Karen.
    Where in KC Kansas do you live? I grew up in Prairie Village.

16. coonkka

coonkka Member

Ole girl

I live in KC KS off of I-635 and Shawnee Dr. I worked on the ole girl till about 9 last night got a few things done. I still need to get the wiring completed so may tackle that next. :)

17. Zig

Zig Member

That's close to my old stomping grounds for sure!

Wish I was closer!

18. coonkka

coonkka Member

For sure

I wish some of you guys were closer to.. I sure could use some help thats for sure..

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well Karen ;

We're here just ask .

From what I can see you're pretty sharp and can figure things out with a little help .

20. coonkka

coonkka Member

thanks

Thanks , my Dad taught me well. Don't be afraid to try we can always fix it or what the heck buy a new one. HA HA my cousin lives in Arkansas and is coming up in a couple of weeks and give me a hand hanging the doors and getting the fuel tank in. Crossing my fingers it all works out. :D