Windshield

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rix 48, May 9, 2015.

1. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Has anyone used the windshield weatherstrip 01-008 from our sponsor? I'm having a terrible time with this thing and I believe it is because of the poor quality. The outer lip rolls over so bad you can't set it in the frame, especially at the corners. Maybe it's just me? Considering buying another one from a different vendor.
    Thanks for any input.
    Rick

2. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

windshield article

HI Rix
    check out this article hope it helps
    Rubber. It keeps our trucks from scraping along on the pavement and the weather from coming inside the cab with us. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work! But like all of us, as rubber ages, it gets cranky and ornery, and it refuses to do its job. Replacing your windshield rubber gasket is never fun. Or all that easy -- especially if you've never done it before. If you can, you should work with a buddy (those replacement curved windshields aren't cheap!). But if you're stuck and don't have help, here's Seetz with his method for ...

Replacing windshield rubber -- Alone!

(June 24, 2008)

By Sietze Slinkman
    Seetz
    "Deep south Dutchman" Seetz
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 38 Panel Van

Installing a winshield in a Task Force Truck ... a one-man job!

I had to install a new rubber gasket for my windshield. Dry rot had caused the rubber to crack in numerous places, which meant that when it was raining, little streams of water would run down on the inside of the windshield. The water would collect in the area above the firewall and then drip down into the dash. This resulted in rust, electrical (fire!) damage, plus a lot of water condensation on the glass.

So time to install a new gasket. The glass was still good, so I kept that. I read a lot on several Stovebolt forum threads. Then decided I should be able to do it by myself. This is how I did it.

The tools and supplies you need:

new gasket (I got mine from www.classicparts.com, was an excellent fit. there are more suppliers that offer good gaskets, like Steele for example)
    new glass if necessary
    rope (I used chalk line), about 20 ft should do
    utility knife (I love the classic Stanly knife)
    screwdriver (any kind will do)
    1" putty knife
    WD40
    some kind of cleaner
    rags / paper towels
    something to stand on
    First the glass needs to come out.

But wait!! Before you do this, if you keep the old glass, put a mark on the truck body and on the glass, so you know the exact placement when you put the glass back in. Removing the wipers will be helpful, too. I forgot to do that and they didn't bother me too much.

You won't need the rubber anymore -- so just start cutting. Do this on the outside. Make a vertical cut first across the weatherstrip. Find where the glass ends and drag the knife along. Don't touch the glass as you might damage it -- which might cause delamination (milky white glass).

Once you have cut a few inches, try pulling the rubber off with your hands (or maybe a set of pliers if that's easier). Work your way around, until you have removed all the rubber that covers the glass. There will be plenty of rubber left, but you only need to uncover the windshield.

Gently push the glass out (from inside of the cab) with two hands flat on the glass, shifting from one side to the other. As soon as you feel that the glass is free, stand on the side of the truck, one hand pushing the glass from the inside, other hand on the outside, keeping it from falling out. You might want to stand on a stool for this. Hold it on the top, get both hands on it on the outside of the truck, and carefully put it somewhere safe (a couch in a locked room is great). Make sure you keep the glass upright, and carry it with your hands under the glass, on 1/3 and 2/3 of the glass.

More cutting

Now cut the remainder of the rubber, using the putty knife where you need it. The sealant GM used cleans up great with WD40, so use that the window area first, then use some kind of household cleaner to remove the WD40 and for general clean-up. If you are using your old glass, clean that too.

Second part: the glass needs to go in again.

First, put the rubber around the glass. There's a lip on one side of the rubber. This needs to be on the inside and on the top. The ends of the flap need to be in the same place left and right. You may have to fiddle with it a bit to get this right.

Now is the time to install the rope. Push it down into the rubber. Start and finish in the middle on the bottom. Keep a loop of about 2 feet there, and tie a knot.

Now carry the glass to the truck, and put it on the cowl vent opening behind the wipers. This is where other people use lube, like dish detergent. I didn't do that. I don't trust any locked in moisture. But I have to say it was 90 degrees when I did this job, and that surely makes the rubber very flexible. Maybe a hairdryer is a good idea for colder days?? I don't know, but you might want to give it a try.

Make sure your extra loop of rope is in the cab. Next is what I found to be the best trick of 'em all: grab the windshield on the bottom, and push it towards the cab, and up, until it sits tight against the windshield opening. Get in the truck, use your fingers to fold the rubber around the edge of the windshield opening (on the top). Get out again, and push up as far as you can. Then push the windshield on the bottom, pushing the rubber tight against the windshield opening.

You might want to do one side first, then the other, standing on your stool besides your truck. Twist the rope loop a few times around the screwdriver (for an easy grip).

Stand next to your truck, have your doors and windows open -- one hand inside with the rope, one hand outside. Push the windshield against the cab with one hand, and pull the rope a few inches with your other hand. The rubber should be pulled into the cab, over the steel lip.

Keep doing this, a few inches to the left, a few inches to the right. Keep checking the rubber. If it folds inwards, use the putty knife (careful, watch the paint!) to pry it out. Slap you hands flat on the glass to push it in further. You can hit pretty hard when you keep your hands flat. Continue until you have pulled out your rope.

You've just installed a windshield!

If it's a bit misaligned ...

... no problem. Hit it!* Having sweaty hands helps. You want to make a movement that is a combination of a slap and a stroke. This will move the glass a little bit. It'll take a lot of slaps, but it will move. Just be careful. You can hit it harder than you think -- but glass is not steel! What worked with me is doing this early in the morning, because the glass shrinks at night when it's colder.

I hope that this can work for you as great as it worked for me. It was highly satisfying to pull this off by myself.

Good luck!

* Additonal tip from Bill "red58" LePage: DO NOT slap close to the edge, and do not slap anywhere near where there's the slightest nick, chip, ding in the edge of a used glass!

-30-

Carpe extorqueo ... Seize the Wrench
    Steve St. Louis ? 1964 Chevy

Be sure to check out our extensive Forums discussions -- from General Truck talk, Electrical Bay, Big Bolts, Panels and Burbs, Engine and Driveline, Paint and Body, Interiors, Tool Chest -- The Stovebolt Collective can help in your quest and walk you through the mire and magic of working with old iron!
    Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-ya Shop

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

windshield article

Hi Rix i found the article in stove bolt.com then go to tech tips

4. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

windshield article

heres one i found on this forum hope it helpshttps://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?p=87659#post87659

5. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Thanks Ron,
    I was looking at the way Russ did his on his "how to" sticky. My weatherstrip is stretched so tight it doesn't look anything like his at the point of installation. I've done everything, and more, as pointed out by your post and Russ'. I believe the rubber from our sponsor is the culprit. Just trying to get some confirmation or suggestions on what might be wrong?

Thanks again,
    Rick

6. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

windshield article

I haven't done this chore yet, and not sure about our vendors rubber but I hear steele rubber is the place to get quality rubber.

7. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I have come to the conclusion that the only gasket that works properly on AD trucks is the the American made rubber offered by Steele Reproductions.

I gave up wasting my time on anything but the Steele gasket years ago.

If you can't get this gasket to fit with ease.......It means your glass ain't cut right.

Do it once & do it right.

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net/static/doc/f2/97/a5a4fa74cc06f2012a939494462a.pdf

http://www.steelerubber.com/windshield-gasket-60-0083-50

http://www.steelerubber.com/windshield-gasket-60-0169-50

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Body Rubber

Rick ;

What Joe said ~ Steele Rubber Co's rubber and NO ONE ELSE'S ! .

I foolishly tried the Hosts crappo Chinese trash rubber , it wasn't molded correctly and it took four of us several hours to get the glass in then of course , it LEAKED .

Be smart and toss that thing away , go to Steele Rubber's website and order in the good stuff ~ I just ordered in a huge pile of new body rubber for my '69 C/10 and so far EVERY PART has fit easily and correctly just as it did when they were new 40 + years ago....

9. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Okay...that confirms exactly what I thought. Another waste of time and money. The Steele products are higher priced but probably worth every penny, especially if I don't have to fight it like this one. To bad our host sells substandard stuff.

Thanks guys,
    Rick

10. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I've gotta say, in defense of Classic Parts, I used the windshield gasket from CP and the glass went in perfectly, and has not leaked... It may be, however, that the quality control is not up to par, and I got a 'good' one. Just didn't want to completely bash Classic Parts.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Classic Parts

FWIW ;

I think this is a very good Vendor .

I just learned to not buy any rubber parts from them .

12. ccharr

ccharr Member

All my gasketing around the doors and windows has come from our host and the guys in Orange and so far nothing have gone fowl. Just sayin. But then again I paid someone to put them in, I saved a lot of money on glass that way.

13. CornfieldPerf.

CornfieldPerf. Member

I agree that it is in your best interest to stay away from the host's rubber products. After a great struggle, was finally able to get my rear window in on my 50. Not so lucky with windshield. I will be ordering Steele. Not bashing our host. I have had great service from them. Maybe they will start carrying the Steele line.

14. CornfieldPerf.

CornfieldPerf. Member

Steele Windshield Rubber

Got my Steele Windshield Rubber in today. Wife and I installed it in about an hour in her 50. We had struggled with the windshield rubber I had bought from our host for hours and cracked two glasses in the process. The Steele product was in my opinion much better fitting and more supple. Not totally blaming the original rubber as I am not a glass expert, but I do know I'm out two windshield glasses and a gasket going in the dump. No vendor is perfect and the host has given me great service, just no more rubber products from them for me.

15. Zig

Zig Member

Good to know, as one of these days in the not so far future, I plan to do this.

I will not waste time, $$$, or "frustration words".

Steele it is~

16. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Rubber stuff

i can also give my two cents of info here, all the rubber parts i bought from our host are seriously bull***, even the shifter boot on the steering column is nearly falling apart after two years and the truck is always garaged and not much exposed to sun. The filler grommet is bad, too...:mad:

17. coonkka

coonkka Member

corner and rear glass

Okay quick question.. Does one have to use the rubber that has that little strip that goes in the middle of the rubber to hold glass in?? I'd like to use rubber without that strip if possible. I got the rubber on and with glass in and now can't get that strip in the seam around the rubber. NO WAY..

18. 51papy

51papy Member

Karen

That was the worst thing I did! My wife left the garage...house and town about an hour after I started it. My neighbors learned some new words and several adult beverages were killed. Did you get the "tool"? If not get one. If you find a one piece please post as I buggered mine up getting it in and will have to replace at sometime...

Papy

19. coonkka

coonkka Member

Oh yeah

oh yeah Pappy I have the tool and the original glass but dang I can hardly get a piece of paper in that little slot let alone the tool and strip. I don't know what the heck...leave it to last.. :mad:

20. 51papy

51papy Member

Karen

We catch another cool weekend day give me a call maybe two people saying unkind things will make it go in. I'll send you the #

Papy