Factory Tach

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by leefarris, May 24, 2001.

1. leefarris

leefarris Member

I have a '84 k-10. I am looking for a source to purchase a factory tach that will mount in the dash panel where the large fuel gauge is now. I have already found the smaller fuel gauge that will mount in the left hand side of the dash and replace the factory clock. If anyone knows where I can find a tach, please let me know. Thanks.

Lee Farris

2. Craig

Craig Guest

Chevrolet didn't put tachs in trucks till 1987.Look for one in salvage yard.GM list's them as discontinued.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

3. 85gmc

85gmc Member

I knew of 2 '78s that had a factory tach but couldn't snag them before they were scrapped.

4. jukele

jukele Member

i have a factory tach cluster from an 1981 K-30. I just bought the truck and will decide this week if i will keep. email me and i might be willing to part with it. thanks

5. Craig

Craig Guest

Thats kinda funny.GM doesnt show a tach listed until 1987.Someone must have forgotten to put it in the parts manuals.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

6. jukele

jukele Member

i also own a '80 k30 with the factory tach. it has the 81-87 style gauges but has the rounded style 73-79 dash. it got the truck from the original owner and he said that was how the truck was ordered new.

7. Craig

Craig Guest

Does anyone have a picture that they could post of the tach? I would be interested in seeing one.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

8. jukele

jukele Member

i will try to get photos A.S.A.P. i will also try to send a copy of my option sheet which includes the tach option (option #U16)

9. stepside

stepside Member

Hi...the option code for the factory tach is "U16"..so it should have the tach in it....I had a '74 GMC 4x4...and it also had the factory "tach"...where the regular fuel gauge would be located....the fuel gauge was moved to the cluster on the left side of the dash. So you are correct....tachs were available back then...and I've been selling Chevy's since '75...and have ordered others with the factory tach...but sorry...I don't have a pic of it!
    Allan
    stepside

10. stuman

stuman Member

you can always go to a junkyard and look for a gravel truck of the same vintage, most of them have tachs, some have a tack and fuel gauge combo. (bonus)

11. stepside

stepside Member

stuman;
    that's a great idea...all the old "medium duty" trucks C-60's and C-70's (Chevy's) and GMC 6500's and 7000's had tachs! Think I might check that out myself! Thanks for the idea!
    Allan
    stepside

12. carryall

carryall Member

Late 70's or early 80's 1/2 ton model called BIG 10, Of the twelve to fifteen I've seen all had factory tachs. carryall