engine queston

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by cool73chevy, Nov 23, 2001.

1. cool73chevy

cool73chevy Member

hey guys i plan on storing my truck for a while. A buddy of mine told me i should use some stuff called storage oil, it suppose to a very heavy weight. i want to use it so my valve seals don't dry up and start smoking. has anyone heard of this stuff and if so when i start driving the truck again can i run it with that stuff or do i have to change the oil.

2. Gangrene

Gangrene Member

I haven't heard of the stuff, but I wouldn't run the engine with it. The main crank bearings have some pretty small clearances, and I don't think that thick of an oil would go through some of the oil passages. That's just my opinion

3. econobiker2002

econobiker2002 Member

Storage items: plan to either run it out of gas or put a bottle of Stabil fuel preserver in the tank and run it enough to get the treated gas into the fuel lines/carb. Better to use a good brand of higher octane fuel to store if you top off the tank. Change the oil and filter prior to storage.

econobiker

4. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

>Storage items: plan to either run it out of gas or put a
    >bottle of Stabil fuel preserver in the tank and run it
    >enough to get the treated gas into the fuel lines/carb.
    >Better to use a good brand of higher octane fuel to store if
    >you top off the tank. Change the oil and filter prior to
    >storage.
    >
    >
    >econobiker

Depending on length of storage:

Change the oil & filter just before storage. Make sure coolant has adequate freeze & anticorrosion capability. Remove spark plugs & squirt some oil in the cylinders. Reinstall plugs, but not plug wires. Pull plugs & spin motor when ready to use again. Use Sta-Bil; plug the air intake to keep the critters out. Disconnect or remove battery.

Do NOT start engine once a week [or whatever], unless vehicle will be driven enough to cook condensation out of engine & warm up other fluids.

For longer-term, put on stands to get weight off tires, & deflate partially.

Check hemmings.com for a list of steps to follow