Help! steering link component identification

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by drl911, Aug 15, 2015.

1. drl911

drl911 Member

Help!

I have taken on a project for someone who is in the middle of a '66 GMC pickup restoration. Problem is the first mechanic who started a power steering conversion can't be located or contacted.

Things I know:
    Power steering unit mounted is 7802644L
    Pitman arm is 6272424
    Hubs are 6274263 and 6274264 (already converted to disc brakes)

Things I need::confused:
    Tie Rods - from what year/model/part numbers?????
    Idler Arm / Bracket - from what year/model/part numbers?????

I have literally checked 5 different idler arms at the local parts store and they all have too small tapered pin for the cross link.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Dan

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Dan I`m only guessing that you will need the complete cross link from any `73 to `87 c10 or suburban, grab the whole unit, you may have to enlarge the holes in the frame for it but thats all, sense you`ve taken over someone else`s project did the previous builder use a steering plate mount, if not the steering will never be right as it will turn sharper to one side and you can`t adjust it out?plus the frame will have a chance to crack without it...should look similar to the Early Classic enterprises unit shown below..

Attached Files:

3. coilover

coilover Member

Speedway has taper tools, 7 degree and 10 degree, that you can ream the tapered hole to size. Be careful these tools cut FAST. Dirt trackers use them when converting from Ford/GM ball joints to the quick to replace Chrysler screw in joints. You could re-size the idler you have.