Glass & Rubber from our host

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ricos54, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Have any of you guy's bought and installed the Glass or Rubbers for the the glass or Doors from our host? Is it good quality and have you had any problems? Someone told me some companies are selling rubber from China and it go's bad in a few months. Wanted to find out if that guy was full of it or not?

Thanks

2. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I bought door glass, rubber door parts and fuzzy door parts from our host for my '52. The rubber and fuzzy parts were fine. I was very disappointed with the glass. Edges were very rough and uneven. I had to pay a local glass shop $30 to clean up the edges. Our host reimbursed me in credit applied to my account.

4. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Thanks for the tip, I have a friend that works at a glass shop for over 25 years so he's going to install all my glass. Wanted to see what you guy"s are buying, it's either buying the window and door rubbers from our host or buying it from Steele company. Our host is half the cost but going cheaper isn't always the best way.

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

If it were me I would go with Steel company. I got some rear window rubber from here, now my truck sat outside for 3 years, driven quite a bit. The chrome part is coming off. Looks very weathered and just bad. The rubber looks okay, not great.

I think Nate talks about the good quality rubber from Steele.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rubber Parts

The rubber I got from our good host here , was WORTHLESS in that it wasn't properly made (typical Chinese trash) , leaked like a sieve from new and rotted away in a year .

I now only buy rubber from Steele Rubber Co. ~ it's AMERICAN MADE and FITS RIGHT plus it lasts .

" the bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten " .

ccharr likes this.
  7. Mike1951

Mike1951 Member

I agree

Bought rubber and glass from our host. Glass was ok but the rubber...no so great. Mine leaks even after I applied glass sealant. I'll end up with Steele after I get new door latches.

Papy

8. CornfieldPerf.

CornfieldPerf. Member

I would avoid glass and rubber from our host at all costs. I would never consider it again. In my opinion very poor quality. My vent window glass had bubbles before it was even in. Rough edges and fit problems. Enjoy the forum and the various projects but I've spent my last nickle with these guys.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Don't give up on the host just yet , just don't buy rubber here .

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I bought rubber for the door windows of my '65 from Classic Parts and was extremely happy with it. The door fuzzies however were from a place called "Repops" and they were very poor quality.

11. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

I ended up buying the rubber from Steele Company and the glass from classic parts. My glass is smoked, installed the door glass in the channels and wing windows in the frames. So far no complaints.