53 Chevy 3/4 ton rear end swapout

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rogtill, Sep 3, 2015.

1. rogtill

rogtill Member

I have a 1953 3/4 ton pickup that was bought new by my uncle. After he passed the truck was given to me. It has not been driven since 1967. The 216 motor had a crack in the block so I have now put in it a 292 with a 350 turbo 3 speed automatic transmission. Now my question is, I have the original 4.56 gear in it now. I was looking to put in a 3.08 6 lug rear axle but I am finding out that the front hubs are not going to be an easy change to to a 6 lug, I am keeping the straight axle up front. So what rear axle can I use that will have a 8 lug pattern and that I can get some highway speed out of it. Any help will be appreciated Thank you.

IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_20150717_150759520.jpg

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Swap the complete front axle to a half ton. Easy to do.

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

410/1 fit 1978 or lower, or have a 342/1 built as I did for my 1 ton stepside.
    The 342/1 lets you drive at any highway speed.

4. rogtill

rogtill Member

Where did you find the the 342/1 rear axle at? Also was it an 8 lug setup same as the front spindle?

5. rogtill

rogtill Member

swapping out the front axle might be a solution but finding a 1/2 ton axle close to me is the next question. Also how much drop will there be between the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton axles?

6. Zig

Zig Member

No drop. I used 2" drop Eaton springs, but some here have removed a leaf or two to drop it some, if that's what you are looking for.
    The best thing about swapping out to a 1/2 to straight axle is you can then install a disc brake kit for the front.
    I did this swap and absolutely love it. I did NOT use the booster for the master cylinder and yet the truck stops just like it should, but better since I don't have brake shoes trying to pull the truck one way or the other.

I think that's cool that this truck has family history. That makes it special, for sure!

Welcome, BTW! (We love pictures!)

7. rogtill

rogtill Member

Pictures

Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Had a rear-end shop do it, they shorten the axles and housing, the fronts are still the stock 8 lug system. http://hoopersrearends.com/ is their web site, some like them some do not but they may be able to direct you to a shop near you. Also there is http://currieenterprises2.reachloca...=ReachlocalPPC&utm_campaign=4kRearEndCampaign , whom you can call and ask Q's .

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the photos of the progress.

10. coilover

coilover Member

Looks like you've already had the Turbo 350 gone through so my suggestion is probably moot. Using a 2004R overdrive trans would give you your 4.56 you already have for pulling loads or trailers and also give you your 3.08 (actually 3.06) in overdrive for highway speeds and it will fit in the same place as a Turbo 350. Your 350 is a truck trans--long tail shaft, so a new front drive shaft would be needed as the 2004R fits exactly in place of the short tail 350. You wouldn't have to change ANYTHING concerning brakes, wheels, axles, etc., just slap in the 200 and go. Updated 2004R's are now able to handle up to 1500hp so you're covered.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pictures !

THANK YOU .

I love seeing this old rig when you first got it ~ in the 1960's we'd find one like this and immediately put it back to work after a day or three of tuning and dropping in a ' rebuilt ' $6 BCI Group # 1 battery.... back then we rarely had the $ for anything and so used .25 CENT Top Hat or similar " re-refined " (means spun in a centrifuge into the black was out of it , otherwise USED) Motor oil , whatever old tires we could find that'd hold air .

Farming isn't glamorous nor rich but we made do and nothing beat and old CHEVROLET LIGHT DUTY TRUCK some ' rich guy ' had discarded . usually it simply wouldn't pass the annual safety inspection or the brakes had failed...

Anyways , you're going to LOVE that torque monster long stroke 292 C.I.D. and TH350 combination .