New member. Great site. 53 rebuild.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SCOTT SCHMIDT, Sep 29, 2015.

1. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Scoot,enjoy the ride while here, thanks fr the photo great looking truck.

3. coilover

coilover Member

Nice truck. Is the paint older with a natural fade or is it new with flattener in the paint and/or clear--very popular right now.

4. Chiro

Chiro Member

I like it. Welcome. More pics. More story. That's just a tease. Come on!!!!!!

Andy

5. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

Thanks everybody. Cool site. Lots to learn. Just got a new rebuilt carb and damn if I can see how the choke and throttle cables connect. Presently my old carb did not have a throttle and the choke cable was rigged in a way that worked. Perhaps someone could post a photo. Much appreciated. Scott
    Somehow eight years ago I saw a beautifully restored Advance Design truck in town and became obsessed about getting one. My wife noticed one a couple miles away from our home and told me about it. I went and the owners wife told me her husband wasn't home and traveled a lot. I got their phone number and for three months I called to remind the owner I was interested. He had recently bought the bike race RAAM ( race across America ) and was on the road all the time. Finally, he told me to come over and we would talk. Ended up buying it that day. In great shape. Just some surface rust and two dings. Slowly doing a rebuild and decent paint job for a safe, dependable around town driver. With help from friends just replace the 216 with a 235 full oil pressure engine that I found on Craigslist. 12 volt conversion next. Scott

6. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

Older. Will paint eventually.

7. denisf

denisf Member

Nice job welcome

8. Zig

Zig Member

Seriously! Nice looking, straight body! More pictures, as Andy said. We're nosey that way. #rolleyes#
    Good luck with it!

9. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

Gee, thanks everybody. I think I got lucky. My truck is in great shape. Keep debating about new paint or the "patina" look as I find people today really like it. I am leaning towards a decent paint job once most of the work is done. Still need to do the 12 volt conversion, radio, electric windshield wipers, some new rubber, shoulder seat belts and new wiring harness. Have a new set of bed boards to do last. Learning as I go. Goal is a nice looking safe, dependable around town driver.. you know, something to go get a beer in or take the grand kids for ice cream!

Attached Files:

• 164.jpg
      164.jpg
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    Zig likes this.
  10. Zig

Zig Member

After mine was down and out for 10 long years, (and still only halfway back...) I have enjoyed every block I have traveled! I absolutely LOVE my truck and driving it!!!
    The fine folk on this site will help get you there!

SCOTT SCHMIDT likes this.
  11. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

Thanks. This really is a great site along with Stovebolt and Devetechnet... 300.jpg

12. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

Zig, agreed. Love driving around in the ole pickup!

13. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Scott,
    Thanks for the pictures! I noticed the black "belt" on the beltline, something I have planned for my truck (Penny). It has been a looong time since my truck looked like yours (together), and she never looked as good as yours when she was!

You are in with a bunch of great guys here. Just plain AD-owners and -fans, and not judgmental if you happen to stray from stock... Welcome aboard!

14. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

Thanks Mike, glad I stumbled onto this site..What is the story and photos behind Penny?

15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Scott,
    Grab a cold beverage of your choice, and DIVE into my thread "Progress, however slow..." Long story short (don't worry, the ending isn't here yet), she's a '53 1/2 ton with an S10 frame beneath her, and an "LS" engine under the hood. There are many more details, and quite a few photos to peruse in the thread, as I have charted a course of my own doing in building exactly what >I< want in an AD. Her name is Penny, because she will be painted a color close to "Coppertone" which was available on our trucks in '53. We'll need more photos from you, and a location in your sig line wouldn't be a bad idea either. You may find you are neighbors (in the big picture) with one of us!