Progress, however slow... but isn't it about the JOURNEY?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 52wasp, May 30, 2012.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Oh heck yes! Suddenly I see tires and stuff on this frame! Way to go, Mike! Get that sucker painted so you can spend the winter putting all the goodies you have back on it!

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

20150911-painted frame1.jpg 20150911-got-moog.jpg 20150911-painted-rear.jpg 20150912-rear-end-hung.jpg More Pictures

Hello all,
    Here are a few pictures I snapped at the end of a LOOOONG day on Friday.
    20150911-painted frame1.jpg
    Here is the FRAME, painted! BLACK is the new black.
    20150911-painted-rear.jpg
    The rear end, also painted
    20150911-got-moog.jpg
    Got MOOG?
    20150912-rear-end-hung.jpg
    The rear, halfway attached...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

20150911-painted-bits.jpg 20150912-LCAs-mounted.jpg 20150912-new-frt-shocks.jpg 20150912-new-rear-shocks.jpg a few more...

20150911-painted-bits.jpg
    assorted bits, all painted (note the leaf spring shackles HERE, which is why they aren't in the last pics) hardware, steering box, etc.
    20150912-LCAs-mounted.jpg
    Lower Control Arms, mounted. These give a 3" drop, with no steering geometry issues (3" drop, but with a 4" taller tire=1" actual drop)

Shocks, patiently waiting to be installed...
    20150912-new-frt-shocks.jpg
    QA1 single-adjustables for the front,
    20150912-new-rear-shocks.jpg
    Belltech's drop-shocks for the rear.

The NEXT time I restore a vehicle, I'll start painting hardware for it before I even buy it. "Oh, yeah, the whatever-bolts aren't painted, I can't install it today"

Saturday saw the stock front spindles get modified to accept the Wilwood brakes, the leaf shackles, steering box and idler arm installed, and MORE painting. Pictures to follow soon.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  4. Zig

Zig Member

That all looks fantastic!!! This winter should be a fun one for you!!

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

This winter?

Zig,
    C'mon... seems to me we have some kind of a challenge here... I'll need to spend this FALL (around the obligatory hunting season(s)) working on the old girl!

More pictures soon...

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow, keep up the good work. I would be tormented over hunting season or truck work...

7. 52wasp

52wasp Member

[QUOTE="50 Chevy LS3, I would be tormented over hunting season or truck work...[/QUOTE]
    Did I mention I was TORMENTED?

I pressed bushings in the Upper Control Arms last night at Mom and Dad's (hydraulic press available in the old shop), and my daily driver is LOADED with stuff for tomorrow's festivities. I am beside myself... I want to take a week off from work just to "wrench" on Penny. It's too hot to hunt anyways... (although that has never been an excuse before). With some luck, (and painted hardware) Penny will have wheels at all 4 corners, and full steering gear and sway bars before the weekend is over. Zig, I know school is back in session, but you best GET ON IT... because the heat is on!

Did I mention how much FUN I am having?

8. Zig

Zig Member

And again, you are going in the right direction! Putting it back together!
    So I followed Evan's advice on how to remove the rear stake pocket and now one bed side is ready for the stripping treatment. Watch out, Mike. I can just see the bed all together right now.

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Well, it remains to be seen if Penny will be a ROCKER...
    But she is now a ROLLER!

Just think how much less-interesting all these posts would be without Zig demanding pictures! (nice job Zig)

20150926_rollingframe1.JPG
    20150926_rollingframefront.JPG

Receiver installed (it will be directly behind the bumper, which will have a 2" square hole in it).
    Also note the spare-tire carrier (not painted) which will attach to the frame in the current location. I have decided to replace the 1"x2" tubing that runs left to right at the front and back of the assembly with lighter, 2"x2" angle stock (it is presently tack-welded together).

20150926_rollingframerear.JPG

All the front-end bits assembled, less the rotors (at 12.19" they are too large to fit within the temporary 14" S10 wheels).

20150926_rollingframe2.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    50 Chevy LS3 and ccharr like this.
  10. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Admins, Thanks again for revising the picture-posting process. Now that I have the hang of it, it's EASY.

Mike likes this.
  11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for all the photos of your progress.

12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

LOOKING GOOD, MIKE!
    Sure feels good to put some final paint on, and start the RE-ASSEMBLY, doesn't it? I think we are running about neck and neck on these projects. If this keeps up, I'll just wait on the I-70 westbound onramp, and just fall in behind you on your way to Zig's house.
    I also kinda like this new forum, now. The big pictures are great, and, if you click on them, they become JUMBO.

Speaking of big, that is one giant sway bar on the front. I never realized an S-10 had that big of a front bar.

Steve.

13. Zig

Zig Member

Seriously, Mike! You finally put your shoes on!
    Look at my avatar and know I know how you are feeling!
    You have everything ready for installing your power plant over the winter as well as the body, if it was painted. I have a feeling between hunting/fishing/lady, installing the power plant will be gravy~
    Keep up the great work and thanks for the photos!

14. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve, even if you AREN'T done, I'll pick you up on the I-70 ramp, and you can ride along. Sway bars... front 33mm (vs 23mm stock), rear 23mm (vs none stock), both came from an S-truck with the ZQ8 option, which also included a fast-ratio steering box which I have installed (2-1/2 turns, lock to lock, vs 3-1/2 turns stock).

Zig, very soon Penny will come home, where work will continue in my basement (the rolling chassis fits fine, but not a complete truck). Fuel and brake plumbing, and wiring to the extent possible. Word on the street is she may see some COLOR in the not-too-distant future (select pieces anyway). Also, in the event we are both done at the same time... I say we drive to Steve's house!

15. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

First, I can hardly wait to see COLOR!!!
    Second, The idea to come to my house is a good one. One long days drive west for you, and about the same for Zig, eastbound.

You guys like farm-fresh steak on the grill, and bluegrass music?
    Steve.

16. Zig

Zig Member

Yes to both!

17. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Don't light the charcoal just yet, unless we take a vote and consider Zig's truck DONE (sans bed) since he HAS been driving it. In that case, HE has some DRIVING to do, to MY house via YOUR house.

Penny came HOME on Sunday! I'll have pictures soon (don't I always say that?)!

18. Zig

Zig Member

Now hold your horses everyone! I have driven my truck <daily> ish, but I have yet to take it on a longer run down the highway than just a few miles. Half way across the US is a bit optimistic even for THIS Chiefs fan!

19. 52wasp

52wasp Member

I suppose... we'll issue you "temporary waivers" for now. But if you take to driving too much, I'll have to give you the REST of the directions to my house.

So Penny came home Sunday (excited? ummm, YES!) and I decided she'll be better off in the barn workshop, closer to all my tools.
    Here is the (now-lightened) spare tire carrier, all welded up and painted
    DSCN0001.JPG
    and a shot of the trans cross member, all welded and painted, with the driveshaft (in hammertone grey to match the sway bars), waiting to be installed.
    DSCN0002.JPG
    Installing the gas tank is next, followed by plumbing!

20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Zig, "half way across the US", or, even, coast to coast, is simply a whole lot of your local, drives, "stapled on" to each other, end to end.

Mike, I know your probably hunting right now, but, I would like to see some copper paint.
    You shop looks interesting, with a wooden floor.
    I would like to remind everyone, we now have a shop/garage section here on this forum.

Steve.