Well this sucks (well... how do I get it to do so? :-)

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Quilcene Roland, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Quilcene Roland

Quilcene Roland Member

Ok - I'm thinking of adding a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system along these lines to replace the draft tube on my truck and I have a naive question for you: where do I tap in to the intake manifold for vacuum for the PCV valve if my dual action fuel-pump (and in turn, wiper motor) is already using the only fitting on the manifold?

See the picture below to see my current (factory) setup.

Do I replace the current manifold fitting sucking on the fuel pump with a "tee" so I have two lines running into the current vacuum source in the manifold (the second pulling on the PCV valve)?
    --- or ---
    Do I pop out the plug just above my fuel pump vacuum source and run a new fitting into it for the PCV valve?
    --- or ---
    ?

Sorry for such a silly question - all the examples of retrofitted PCV systems I have found on-line appear to be running only the PCV valve off of the vacuum fitting currently used by my fuel pump / wipers...and I can't see where those fuel pumps are getting re-plumbed (if anywhere) post PVC install.

Particulars: my engine is a 248 GMC - completely stock.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Roland.

IMG_0098.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. coilover

coilover Member

Nice engine compartment! You could get a four way "T" or "cross" and one up close nipple which would give you three outlets or just coat a drill with axle grease and drill a second fitting hole. Coat the tap with grease also. I have never had a problem doing this but if in doubt the carb could be pulled and a magnet run down to pick up any tailings. IIRC the factory hole has a 1/4 NPT thread.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Me thinks you got gypped Roland. Below is a picture of my '52 GMC 228 showing three vacuum ports. All three now have brass fittings installed. The top one under the carb is 1/2" NPT thread. I've hooked my PCV system in there. Just below it is a 3/8" NPT fitting providing vacuum for my brake booster. On the top of the manifold runner, near the rear, is a 1/8" NPT brass plug in the hole that the wipers (now electric) were attached to. Your manifold is obviously different, starting with the orientation of the carb mounting studs.

vacuum lines.jpg

4. Quilcene Roland

Quilcene Roland Member

Evan & Bill - thanks for the insights!

Bill - I don't think I got gypped - below is a close up of mine - it has a 3/4" unused port (plugged) above the fitting to my fuel pump/wipers... I guess I can use that for the PVC setup much like Bill has done... agreed? Otherwise, if I have been ripped off, I guess I can just part out the truck <jk> ;-) IMG_0403.JPG

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I couldn't see that 1/2" plug in your first picture. Should work. Mine does.

6. Quilcene Roland

Quilcene Roland Member

Thanks again! ;-)

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Roland ;

You need a larger diameter fitting to properly operate the PCV valve .

There was one that screwed into the 3/4" NPT port in the center of the intake manifold that also had a small nipple for the wiper feed .

I know many 1970's Brand 'F' (yes , I know,deal with it) products had *just* what you need here .

FWIW , adding a vacuum tank up under the dashboard will prevent the wipers from stalling out when you stomp the foot feed on that romping stomping GMC L O N G motor ! =:cool: .