Updated body work

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by drivea55, Oct 18, 2015.

1. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Front corner view.jpg Front right corner.jpg Front view.jpg left side view.jpg Right side view.jpg Hey folks.
    Got some pics of recent work done. As I mentioned before, I'm going with a pro on the body and paint, but at my pace and instruction. This dude is tops too.
    Now, also I got questions. This project is obviously a retro mod, with all the tricks I'm doing. In my mind though, want I want is a brand new truck, that is factory correct, but with the modifications that a teenager in the 50's, who's daddy had a fat wallet (not me, or my dad), would want. By that, I'm trying to make everything that isn't a modification to be exactly like it was in the show room. My problem is that this truck sat in a field for years, and all of the patterns that I needed were gone. Wiring, grommets, switches, relays, seals. All of it, even the gas tank.
    To top it off, I've bought all of my hardware from Classic Parts, and that began over four years ago. Now that I need it, I have boxes and bags full of new stuff, but without any descriptions or labels? I know that ultimately, that's my fault for not organizing these unknowns when I purchased them. Now that I'm in assembly mode, I'm wanting to position and place everything factory-ish to be exactly like it was. That's not easy to accomplish with no model to go by.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Woody

Attached Files:

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow, looking good! Love the five spoke Cragers! Someone has converted the truck to five lug wheels.

My advice on assembly, would be to order a factory assembly manual. They show every sub-assembly on the truck, with good pictures and measurements.
    Then, start a build thread here, and post pics. and questions as you go along.

Nice truck, good looking engine. If you do start a build thread, start at the beginning, old photos of when you got it, history of the truck, etc.

Steve.

3. Zig

Zig Member

Man, that is SWEET!!! I'd have to say Steve gave the advice that I would offer. That along with checking youtube builds of your truck. Like a wiring video for example. Manual is the best bet.
    So I assume your avatar is what you started with?
    I love the setup on your V8, complete with AC. I assume that is a 350? Are you going with a standard or automatic transmission?
    Thanks for the photo update!

4. drivea55

drivea55 Member

So guys, I've been a member since 2011, when I started this project. If my beginning pics aren't available, I'll start over. I've been slow on this build, but I wanna get it right, to give it as much value as possible. The engine is a 283, that I purchased as a re-manufactured engine from Arizona. It too is slightly tricked. Too bad it's not completely period correct (offered in the vette, but not the trucks yet), but still one of my favorite small blocks from back in the day. Gonna be all show, with not much go.
    So where can I find one of these factory assembly manuals? All I've found so far is the service manual.

5. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Steve,
    I've wanted Cragars since high school, and considered doing them in 16's but that fine look just wasn't there. So, a major conversion, orchestrated by myself, and hopefully roadworthy. The front was easy, as I just converted to disc, but the rear axles are original.

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Factory Assembly Manual...
    Our host here on this forum sells them.
    1955-59) Factory Assembly Manual

[​IMG]

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $27.95 price
    [​IMG]
    Quantity
    [​IMG] Ships:[​IMG]
    In Stock
    Part # : 04-621
    Year : 55-59
    [​IMG] Be the first to review this item

And I've found, these guys are the best! Great customer service, and they are from the heartland!

Steve.

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I did a little digging and found your past posts, with pictures. Cool project. Truck didn't look too bad to me when you got it.
    Sometime, when you have a little time, I think it would be cool for you to combine all the previous threads into one big build thread.
    Just a thought, that way we can see the whole story.
    You were a member, 2 years before I joined.

P.S. I've always liked Cragers, from back in my high school days. My brother just put a set on a mid-eightys Monte Carlo. All the young kids act like they've never seen them before.

Steve.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

So you are building a Screamin' Yellow COPO '55 truck.... yeah, that's awesome.

Have you thought about dressing the motor out with period correct (looking) 'vette parts? Intake, valve covers, air filter...... or maybe go '57 fuelie that's what the rich kid would have done.... or jump ahead a decade and go with a '65 fuelie look.
    _____
    John ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. drivea55

drivea55 Member

So, thanks Steve for the info. I forget that our host has a whole lot more to offer than what is in their online catalog. I bought the manual this morning, so there is still hope. I've been bragging to my friends that I have a room full of parts, with pretty much everything purchased and waiting for me to install. Not at all true. There is still so much more left to buy. There's so much to these machines, that the parts must have sold for pennies back then. Anyway, I've waited for a few years to be at this point. I really enjoy the assembly part, as long as I have the right parts, and the proper instruction.

10. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Looks really nice! am i seeing a little pearl in the Yellow?

Allen

11. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Hey Allen,
    No pearl. color is labeled as "69' camaro Daytona yellow". Nuthin fancy, just bright and shiny.

12. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Again, it looks really nice! is the paint single stage or base coat/clear coat? i am going to have to check out the Daytona yellow color.

I am liking the build, Congrats on your progress!
    Allen

13. drivea55

drivea55 Member

single stage.
    Woody