Ladder Rack

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by climberman, Oct 24, 2015.

1. climberman

climberman Member

I restored a 66 step-side not just for fun but for work, We are window cleaners and need to have a rack on the truck. I am getting close to finishing and need a rack and was looking into stainless steel. But now I'm not real sure it is possible to put a rack on the truck with out bolting it to the side panels which I don't want to do. Has anyone built a rack for an older truck?

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Could you just build a free-standing one, that slides in and attaches to the wood floor? Or, the floor, and the stake pockets?
    Whatever you end up with, post some pics., so we can see it.
    Steve.

3. climberman

climberman Member

I don't want to drill holes in the wood

4. coilover

coilover Member

Have a 65 GMC 3/4T stepside that fits in stake pockets. Rack hangs out over top of cab. Vertical tubes may be in wrong place for a short bed. Rectangular tubing was slotted and squeezed in to fit stake pockets tightly and a screw run in the side to hold in place. Am parting out but if your truck is pretty then this rack has years of battle scars and is for a true work truck.

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Is your truck a big back window or a small back window?

Racks on trucks are popular here in Colorado for working trucks. Most are made from angle iron and tubing. The racks are rigid welded structures that attach via angle iron that goes inside the bed rails and across the bed front panel. I contemplated one for my '65, but never pulled the trigger.

One of these would look "right" on your '66 stepside. But I am getting that isn't what you are after.

The aftermarket stuff would just look too new.

And the racks that just attach via only 2 side pockets would likely crack the rear sill to bed side attachment.

6. climberman

climberman Member

It looks like no matter what I will have to drill some holes in the side panels. Because for safety reasons if you got in a wreck and had ladders on the hole thing could go flying. Here is a link to one I found on the net I could put some rubber down on the bed so it doesn't get scratched. and drill two holes for each post. Workstar Aluminum Ladder Rack | Shop Pickup Truck Racks at DiscountRamps.com