rocker roller adjustment on 454

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 85_4dr_dually, Aug 12, 2002.

1. 85_4dr_dually

85_4dr_dually Member

I do not know what cam is in the engine but I will say a "street/strip" style camshaft I tried adjusting the valve lash to .022 and now it seems something is wrong - heard a loud clunk when attempting to start. So I did not start it. Figure I need to pull the covers and give it another go round can someone please give me good detailed instructions so I can compare to what I did. - Thanks for any and all help. I would like to redo this work this weekend 8/17/02.

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:)Howziit 85_4dr_dually! Hmmmmm, since you adjusted to .022" lash, are you sure you have a solid-lifter cam?

more than likely, you have a hydraulic-lifter cam.

it would be nice, if you knew which cam it is. if you remove the timing cover, the cam model might be on the nose.

Orrrr, you could install a timing degree tape onto the crank balancer. then...fastening a dial indicator onto an intake rocker, turn the crank over, by hand, and note when the intake valve begins to open and close.(do that for the exhaust valve also.)

with that basic info in hand, access the cam data base, and do the search. with luck, you may find the exact cam you have.(if not, you'll find a few that closely matches yours. then, by their specific characteristic description, you will know more about the cam in your engine.

BTW, i'm in your predicament; the seller only told me i had an "RV cam".(of course, i knew it's a hydraulic cam, since it's so quiet.)

good luck.

Myron