Low cost electronic conversion

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Nov 9, 2015.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Back when I had a big general repair shop we did a lot of electronic conversions of factory distributors. Delco Remy and Autolite distributors were the main ones and often for construction and/or farm equipment as well as cars and trucks. If you have a tall cap stovebolt distributor the cost is about twenty bucks. This is Rock Auto prices on mid to late 70's Chrysler Slant 6 distributor parts.
    Reluctor to replace point cam $2.65
    Pick up coil 9.60
    GM ignition control module 6.00
    Having reluctor machined for a tight press fit price on the point cam will depend on the machine shop.
    Do a Yahoo search for Bubbas Hot Rod Shop and click on "Services Offered" then 40-62 Chevy six distributor for step by step pictures.
    Remember this is just an electronic conversion for easier hot or cold starting and to eliminate points. For one that has everything checked, cleaned, parts replaced as needed, and run on a distributor machine then one from Deve or Linder is the way to go.

2. Zig

Zig Member

Interesting... Thanks, Evan.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sounds good to me ! .

Pictures would be good .

Using stock module and pickup means cheap easy to find parts anywhere .

4. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

5. coilover

coilover Member

Thanks for your help posting pics, Tom. Not something I can do yet, posting pics from anything but my camera. We did not use a fancy heat sink set up but just a metal plate to screw the GM module to which in turn was fastened in a cooler location, often the bottom of the distributor so it was all one unit.