Which is best?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Dec 6, 2015.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Customer asked me which I considered the better; all original or modified. I told him if he was going to drive his 1957 truck under 1957 conditions then original was better. Bias ply tires, non power drum brakes, and deep gearing is the cat's meow for a 50mph speed on mostly unpaved roads and still fine for short cruises or parade use. If one is going to be on a modern road with present speeds then radial tires, updated brakes, and gearing that allows one to not be in the way of other traffic is better. On his 57 3100 we mounted radials, updated brakes, swapped tranny with a Borgwarner overdrive, and used tie rod assist power steering so caster could be increased on the straight axle. He now has a stock appearing truck that cruises 70mph while turning the 235 around 2300rpm, stops good, and can go a mile with no hands on the steering wheel.

mobileortho and 50 Chevy LS3 like this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

AMEN! Evan. Could not be said any better!

Steve.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

That is an excellent answer.

Got any pictures of the '57?

_____
    John :cool:

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Not only do antique autos/trucks cause backups on modern high speed highways, you run the risk of losing them to distracted, cell-phone using, modern drivers.
    Of course, this happens every day to all kinds of vehicles, but, it's extra tragic when it happens to irreplaceable, beloved, antiques. Like Bill's old truck.
    Like John says, got any pictures?

Steve.

5. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Member

Amen to that! This is how I am wanting to do my '52 exactly with radials, 235, BW 3spd-overdrive, post '55 jug and tie rod assist power steering. My '50 3600 work truck has been equipped with a 1/2 ton dropped front axle, radials (235-75 R15), 283, sm420 and '59 1/2 ton rear. Still debating on the steering situation. I really like the idea of the tie rod power assist but haven't talked with anyone having this setup to see how well it'll perform in a daily driven rig.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

If you use the proper size tires no power steering is necessary...

To directly answer Evan's Q : " Which is best? " :

North , South , East or West ~ HOME is best ! .

Zig likes this.
  7. Chiro

Chiro Member

I had mine done as an all original drivetrain, etc. Just like Evan says, it was great around town at 40 MPH (50 MPH with the engine SCREAMING). Heaven forbid I had to take it on the highway, then it was really scary trying to look in the rear view constantly as people would fly up behind me. The brakes sucked too. A few winters ago, I put in a '72 Nova rear with 3.08:1 gears and upgraded the front brakes to disc. It's a WORLD of difference. It is now a stock-appearing truck with the ability to cruise at 70 MPH and safely brake the vehicle. a pleasure to take out and drive now...and I do take it out. A lot.

Andy

Zig likes this.
  8. coilover

coilover Member

Here are a couple of shots; not much to see since truck is raised and can't get good position for photos. Working on fitting front fender patch panels and pics show major slice and dice necessary to get correct gaps. If an AMERICAN reproducer would make panels that actually fit a truck they HAD ON SITE I would give double or triple the price and I'm sure others would also. Just dreaming.

Attached Files:

50 Chevy LS3 and Lakeroadster like this.
  9. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks for those pics., Evan.
    But, now, I would like to see more of the '69 Camaro.

I want one. I want one. I want one...!

Steve.

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

X2

So is your customer having the truck restored Evan?

_____
    John

11. coilover

coilover Member

Actually the 70 Camaro behind the plastic curtain is the more interesting. Complete Detroit Speed chassis, stroked and Whipple supercharged LS9 with dyno tag showing 889hp, flush mount windshield and rear glass, $$$ long tube tuned stainless headers, TKO 600 six speed, and on & on. We pulled the 302 DZ engine out of the 69 and replaced with big horsepower Gen 1 383. His original 302 has already brought some big bids from the Camaro guys but we gave advice to not sell since it's numbers match the car and nothing has been done that can't be easily put back original. I can see going to a longer stroke engine with todays gas which doesn't mate well with big dome pop up 302 pistons. 302's with a 3" stroke and a 3500# car didn't displace any neck vertebra until rear gears were REALLY deep. Guy that worked for us bought a new 69Z and didn't do well at the drags till he went to a 5.14 gear. Two of the other guys, one with an AAR 340 Cuda and the other with a 327 350hp Nova, had cars that would embarrass the Z. Jimmy, who had the Nova still has it along with a 427 Yenko Chevelle---his retirement cushion.

12. 52wasp

52wasp Member

All Original or Modified?
    Interesting comparison: If you lived in a home built in the early fifties (and there were MANY), and you kept it ALL original (one bathroom, 60AMP electrical service, linoleum floor, etc etc), folks would think you were crazy (how can you LIVE like this?). But if it looked all original from the street, but upon closer inspection had subtle improvements on the exterior, and the inside was "modern", folks would applaud you for your selections. The "appearance" of originality is what most folks see.

Compare that with the sometimes rabid attitude towards any antique vehicle that isn't BONE stock- usually by folks who drive or lease a new car, and know ZERO about it. But they are more than happy to point out the "not correct" stuff at a car show to any onlooker who will listen.

As for highways speeds... back when our trucks were on the drawing board, the Interstate Highway System didn't exist (signed into law in '56).

In the end, it's whatever the owner wants!

13. Zig

Zig Member

As you can see, I went with the stock approach.
    I can't tell you all how happy I am that I listened to Nate and kept the stock engine/transmission in place!!!
    Man I love that little six!

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Well, now, Evan, I want to see 'em all!

Actually, I would keep the number matching engine. That's a no-brainer. But, rather than buy a number matching big-buck Camaro, I'd like to have the resto-mod version. Morrison sub-frames, LS3, or LS7, 6-speed, wide 17s or 18s, with the gen 1 gorgeous look.

Steve.

P.S. I wonder, if this forum had a "dis-like" button, we would be seeing some on this thread?

52wasp likes this.
  15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    Like you, I too would keep a #'s matching setup and I would prefer a restomod myself as well. Oh wait.. I'm building a restomod! That is truly the beauty of a non-numbers matching vehicle, zero provenance, not a family heirloom. All of the just-another-tired-AD lets you do whatever you please. Truly, it has been a TON of work to get to where I am now, and had I gone the stock route (reasonable upgrades excepted), I wouldn't be any further ahead than I am now (financially or schedule wise). I have stepped WELL outside my comfort zone, and what seemed to be an insurmountable challenge at the time is now a do-able task.

That, and I have owned 4 Camaros already. They fall into the "been there, done that" category. Never had a lick of interest in a Gen 1 car, mine were a couple Gen 2's and a couple of Gen 3's.

16. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

This is what I'm talkin' about...

Mike1951 likes this.