Daily Driver Oil Changes... DIY?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Lakeroadster, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I refuse to let anybody change the oil on my vehicles other than myself... which got me to wondering: How many other folks still change their own oil nowadays?

I usually put the vehicles up on my 2 post lift... and the oil change is enjoyable.

Not so much this time: We moved earlier this year & my barn isn't done yet. The attached garage is full (of stuff that goes into the barn). So I changed the oil in the two daily drivers in our gravel driveway, using wooden ramps, surrounded by snow.

I admit that the experience took me back. Last time I was doing maintenance on a vehicle in the winter, on my back, in a driveway, was 1978.

_____
    John

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John, I've never, ever, paid someone else to change oil in anything I've owned. Cars, trucks, airplanes, ATVs, lawnmowers...nothing.
    My granddads, uncles, dad, everybody always did it themselves.
    I was raised that way, I guess. I also thought ALL men had wrench saavy, until I was grown. Then I hired a driver, and was around some farmers, who showed me otherwise.

In fact, I have changed the oil in other guys big trucks, and usually end up with about 400-600 gallons of used motor oil in my bulk tank a year.
    I used to sell it, (for as much as 90 cents a gallon). Now, they will charge you to pick it up, unless you have min. 250 gallons. This due to the crash in crude oil.

I could tell you lots of stories about outdoor truck repair, before I had a shop.

Steve.
    P.S. I don't think you save much $$$, doing it yourself. But, you know it was done correctly.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  3. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

I always change my own oil. I don't even jack the truck up. lol