Speedometer not working

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Holliday, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Holliday

Holliday Member

Hey all...

I have an 84 custom deluxe with a malfunctioning speedometer. Have replaced the instrument panel and speedometer cable to no avail. Have taken it in for an inspection and was told that the "speedomter drive gear assembly" is worn and will need to be replaced.

I would like to avoid paying the $400 to repair it and do it myself instead. I have been unable to find ANYTHING that shows how to do this. I can probably find the part, but that may take some time as well.

Does anyone out there know how to do this and if so...do you know where I can find this information?

I would be eternally grateful for any assitance.

Thanks!:D

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

you could get another speedo out of a similar truck. you could get a autometer speedo and still save money.
    thats my opinion
    cowboy

3. rebelchevy

rebelchevy Member

if it is 4wd the speedo cable goes into the transfer case. if you replaced the cable and everything from there to the instrument then it is either the gear that the cable goes into in the transfer case of the gear that is actually in the transfer case, both are plastic. if its 2wd im not sure, i do know thats were mine is i also have an 84 with the new proccess i think 208, the aluminum selectable transfer case
    hope this helps

4. Holliday

Holliday Member

Thanks guys. It is a 2wd and the inspection revealed that it is the gear inside. Anybody know where I can get the part and how to install it though?
    I've checked local auto parts stores and can't find it; short of going to a dealership (God help me). I know how to get to the connection, I just don't know how to replace the gear.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys. :)

Holliday

5. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

The part from GM isn't usually very expensive. You could try a transmission place. You will have to take the rear extension housing off.Get a Haynes tranny book or one for your truck and it will help you.