Door gaps

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Door gaps

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Sprayed some primer sealer today noticed my door gaps on the front of the door is rubbing
    I had them all nice and lined up
    I had lined them up adjusted doors drilled pilot holes put some screws in
    Removed doors and put them back on used pilot holes doors lined up real nice now a couple coats of primer now front of doors rub
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks

ccharr likes this.
  3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks CHARLES
    I didn't see where you posted but I got an alert any way thanks
    I lined up my door gaps nice and straight doors are tight all the way around so not much room forward or backward after a couple of coats of primer the drivers door rubbing in the front a little so I think I will have to adjust it out just a bit like if the rubber weather strip were there. Great seeing you pop in
    Robert

4. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Robert, a rule of thumb is you should be able to run a paint stick all the way down the gap. This gives plenty of room for primer and paint which is 1/8" wide no less than that.

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Man, there is a Bumper Crop of sweet AD's going to be hitting the streets soon!

6. coilover

coilover Member

Outside mirror on both sides, spot light on drivers side, cowl vent door hole still open but no drain tube---going to drain out below?

7. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Evan
    Plans for drain tube was to run a clear hose on the inside of cab and down the side cowel going to put a heater cover over the louvers
    Just trying to clean up the fire wall a little bit but put mirrors back in stock location

8. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks Rico
    I put a paint stick in door gap or attempted to front of door real tight no room to move it but out

9. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

I could not slide a paint stick down my gaps either when I was at your stage, so I had to sand all the primer and body filler off on both sides of both doors about 6" in. Then I drilled holes a 1/4" to 1/2" in every 6" down the door, then welded the holes shut to hold the skins together. Then 2 options, either grind on the door or use a cutting wheel. I measured how much to take off the doors front and back, drew a line and then grinder on the door. Then put the door on serveral times until I had my 1/8" gap on both sides. Then stitch weld it back together grind the weld down round off then body fill and primer again. It's a long process, but if you don't have the gap and you end up painting it and it chips it off the first time you open the door you won't be very happy. I showed everything I did in my thread if you need to do this.

Another thing you can do is fit the door and striker so the door fits to your liking and then drill 2 holes in each hinge and striker plate and 1 hole through the door into the hinge and make sure you use nails to fit in the holes. Then putting the door on and off will be minutes because believe me you will be putting and taking the door off several times. I used a drill bit and nails one size smaller than a 1/8". I think it was 7/64"" with finish nails.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  10. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks Rico
    Another 5 steps back but necessary steps to a correct door fit and I will be looking back on your build pics
    Robert

11. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

I can't tell you how many times I had to go back and fix things that I had no idea was going to be a problem. Because I'm a beginner, I guess that's part of the learning curve, but I'm betting even the pro's have problem's too no matter how many times they build these old cars and trucks. The thing is wether your willing to live with it or go back and fix it so it doesn't cause you problems later down the road. :D

12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Nice work, Robert. I'm sure you will get the doors figured out. You firewall looks fantastic!
    Looks like your moving right along.

Steve.

13. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks Steve
    First time and last at body work still a few flaws in fire wall
    Iam going to put the he truck back together and I hope to continue to work on it other wise it will never go back together.
    Than once a complete truck I just might put it up for sale worth more together than in parts .
    Robert