1953 chevy truck 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ken&kathy's53, Apr 6, 2016.

1. ken&kathy's53

ken&kathy's53 Member

what seats will fit in this truck?? would like to have a bench seat , or buckets if it have too. it's like a 50's hot rod

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

3. Zig

Zig Member

Bill, did you get your truck repainted? I don't remember it looking that good when you bought it. Apparently you have the nice door latches as well.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

No new paint yet. Maybe someday.

5. Zig

Zig Member

If the rest of the truck looks as good as what you can see in the picture, you're good. Being colorblind and all, I can't tell, but do the door panels match the color of your seats?

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The door panels are a green/gray color. They are fiberglass, about 1/8" thick, smooth on one side and "pebbly" on the side that shows. Bought it on eBay. Used a set of "deluxe" panels that Bilbo gave me as patterns and stole the chrome surrounds from the same panels. The only real trick was to chamfer the edge of the fiberglass all the way around so it would slip into the surrounds and stay there.

7. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey Bill. What do you know about adding zinc to oil for our trucks?

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I put a bottle of additive with ZDDP in mine when I change the oil. Can be had at any FLAPS, Wally World, etc.

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zinc "used to" be there in motor oil, but in modern engines, as wear occurs, the zinc would precipitate onto the O2 sensors. And you know we can't have that. So ALL of the oils saw their % of zinc diminish over the years.
    You know the story... one dog starts to scratch, ALL the dogs get a flea-bath.

10. Zig

Zig Member

That's the same thing I did with mine! Works great! It has been a few hot summers, and a few cold winters, and they still look like the day I installed them.
    I'm just glad they are the cardboard crap. The only thing good about those are the stainless surrounds.

11. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

You can put whatever you want. Just measure the cab and how much leg room you want, that's how I did mine and I ended up with leather buckets out of a 2009 Lexus IS250.
    [​IMG]

12. coilover

coilover Member

I don't know your sizes nor your steering wheel size and placement but this is something you need to consider. If Astro Van seats let Bill Hanlon fit then they would work for most because he's BIG. Contrary to what many think removing the gas tank from the cab gains very little seat room but does give more room if you set the seat bottom back and the seat back more vertical. We have made a "Club Cab" AD to gain room but that is extreme. The customer was 6' 7'' or as he always said: 5' 19".