Meeting of the minds

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chiro, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

I had the opportunity to meet Mobileortho (Robert) this past weekend. I drove down to Virginia from Long Island to visit my stepson and deliver some furniture. I had the bright idea to ask him if he was willing to sell his old IFS since he just put in a M2 front end in his truck. Too bad my bright idea came just a little too late because the spindles and brakes were already gone. I did however get everything else from the C10 front end he had in his truck. It was well worth the trip. He had narrowed the C10 crossmember already and obviously put in SBC motor mounts. I figured it was a no-brainer as if and when my 235 gives up the ghost, I will turn the truck into a hot rod in the future.

He is a true gentleman and it was great meting him and his wife, Karen early Saturday morning. Nice of him to allow me to take the 2 hour drive from my stepson's to come pick up the parts on moving day for him. Just less stuff he has to move so I guess I helped him out.

He's a real craftsman and I admire the work he has done on his 3600. It's a great build, full of quality work that he should be proud of. I got a lot of tips from him about the install of the C10 IFS and general V8 mods needed when doing that work.

Great guy, great wife, great truck. A real honor to have met him. He's a big guy. I didn't get to ask him how he shoehorns his way into his truck, but I was thinking it. Lol

Pics below for Zig because without pics, it didn't happen. :)

Andy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Andy, thanks for the kind words. The pleasure was all mine! Wish I would have had more time to chat, but we're working on getting settled in the new place. Really enjoyed meeting you and putting a face with a name! Next time, I'll fire up the grill!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  3. Zig

Zig Member

That is fantastic!!!
    I remember how I felt when Evan stopped by, and this guy that use to frequent this site, Mel's 50, made it all the way across the pond to visit in person~ It is a wonderful thing indeed, to put a face and a handshake together!
    Thank you, Andy, for posting this and the pictures.
    Robert's truck is just downright bad, and now you will be rolling with his old front end some day? Even better!
    So Andy, when you say you drove down, did you drive your old truck to Roberts?

4. Chiro

Chiro Member

Robert. That's a deal. Next time I will take you up on the offer of some BBQ. Zig, I did not drive the pickup. Took my '93 3/4 ton Suburban that has 421,000 miles on it. You want me to drive my straight axle truck 7 hours to Robert and back??? After I put his old front end in it and do a V8 swap then yes, I would do that. The longest trip my truck has taken was the 4 hours to the Race Of Gentlemen las year and believe me, that was long enough!!!

mobileortho likes this.
  5. Zig

Zig Member

Okay, 7 hours might be a stretch if you are going non-stop...

mobileortho likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice .

I wish I wasn't so broken up as I used to love driving 3,000 miles in old rigs for no particular reason....

I'd love to meet more of you alls .

mobileortho likes this.
  7. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

The feeling is mutual my friend!
    Andy, I finally got moved into the new place & I'm loving it! Got a bit worried though when I brought the truck over,it barely fit into the garage! The hot water & furnace are located in the front & it only leaves me about 6" clearance. I'm just glad to get it in. You know I mentioned that I was taking it to the shop to fix what I thought was perhaps a cracked flywheel since I didn't have time to do it myself while trying to move. Well, turns out that it wasn't cracked, I'd installed it backwards!!:oops: Lol! Oh well, lesson learned!

Chiro likes this.