Hole in Floor under Factory Gas Tank

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Stephen Shaw, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Stephen Shaw

Stephen Shaw Member

On my '57 Chevy Long Bed I removed the factory cab mounted fuel tank to inspect etc and found a 1-1/2" hole in the floor pan almost truck centered closer to driver side under the tank. This hole doesn't seem to line up with anything on the tank and there is just the frame below. What is this hole for? Thanks in advance.

2. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

Maybe the hole for your fuel line? If you can provide a picture I'm sure we can verify what it is for you.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Gophers?

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Stephen Shaw

Stephen Shaw Member

57 truck floor hole.jpg

No not for the fuel line. Hopefully not for gophers. See attached photo. There is a small hole with grommet for the sending unit wire. There is another small hole with grommet for the fuel line. Then there is a large hole that I was wondering what it's for. It looks factory as it's in a depressed area. Should be the same for all bed lengths. All you guys with frame mounted tanks let me know if this has a purpose or if I just need to cap it. Thanks.

5. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

That hole is for the drain plug on the bottom of the tank, their should be a rubber cap grommet that plugs that whole off, generally missing after all the years.
    Look at the bottom of your tank and their should be a plug at the bottom that lines up with that hole. Don't think i would want to drain that way but that is what it was put there for.

Allen

6. Stephen Shaw

Stephen Shaw Member

Thanks Allen. I will get a plug cap for the hole and move on. My tank has no drain plug but I don't think it is factory either. Seems to be in too good of shape to be 58 years old. As you can see in the photo I have a few more important things to worry about. Stephen

7. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Was wondering the same thing, until yesterday. I'm installing a new factory tank, and had this big spongy donut seal that fits over the hole. So, I guess that's how the hole is sealed, supposedly. Allowing access to the plug for hopefully never having to drain the tank while installed.

8. Stephen Shaw

Stephen Shaw Member

Drive 55 we must have gone to the same paint shop. I like it. Stephen

9. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Drive 55 you are right, there would of been a round type of grommet that the tank would sit on sealing it off around the whole, and ya i would not want to have to drain the tank that way.
    do you have any more pictures of your truck? Like the Yellow, what color is it? i want to paint my Cameo Corvette yellow with a cream color for the bed insert and maybe on Cab and inside on the dash.
    looks really nice.
    Allen

10. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Just bought one of those from Classic Parts.

11. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Just an update, I lifted my fuel tank this weekend, cleaned out the disintegrating original rubber gasket, and installed the new one from Classic.. it fit and sealed perfectly.

vwnate1 likes this.
  12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Naw , Bill ~ MICE ~ it's a Farm truck , dig ? #tongue# .