52 Chevy

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Joe52Chevy, May 29, 2016.

1. Joe52Chevy

Joe52Chevy Member

hey guys, new to the board here. love the info available. i just picked up an old member of the family that i will eventually be restoring. she runs and drives as is and i cant wait to get started on her eventually...ill probably drive it a bit as is for awhile. anyways thanks for all your documentation on here, i was searching for a good source online and im glad i found this place.

Attached Files:

Zig likes this.
  2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Welcome to the site lots of pics and document ion of build here
    Robert

3. coilover

coilover Member

Looks like pretty good starting material. Notice it has had several heaters but that just means it was actually used and not just left set around to rot. Good idea to drive as is for awhile and see if the old truck experience is one you enjoy. If you do then there are ones that can tell you how to make a safe 70mph cruiser out of it for a reasonable price.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Nice truck!
    This site and the fine fellers on here walked me through the whole rebuild process. But if anyone wants to... 13177935_591475137694780_3581897247648062885_n.jpg

:p

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Joe, welcome aboard. Please DO drive her as is. If she isn't roadworthy, make her roadworthy, and then drive the wheels off of her. Guaranteed you'll get thumbs up everywhere you drive. You won't get there first, but who cares? It isn't a race.

My truck was closer to the scrap heap than the road... she was FAR from roadworthy, so far that I don't have any remorse about making her into what she will soon be (a hot rod).

And Zig, you forgot "LS Motor"!

6. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Sounds alot like my story. I got my family truck that had sat for 30 years and got it running. I drive it stock for 2 years. I hauled stuff and took it to shows. Lots of smiles and waives. People look at you sideways when you pull up to home depot in it but you always have company while you load, people love to chat about it. One day 2 years ago I was hauling a bed load of black dirt and i knew the motor was weak but by the time I got home it was really sick. The next time I drove her I put 3 rods through the block. Now its tore down to the bare frame for a custom rebuild with an LS (thats for you 52wasp).

Everyone should be lucky enough to enjoy their truck stock first. I think it will make the finished build that much more special.