What is this where my glovebox should be?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by al baz, Jun 1, 2016.

1. al baz

al baz Member

upload_2016-6-1_13-43-7.jpeg

upload_2016-6-1_13-42-48.jpeg

I have a 61 GMC K1000. When trying to put i a glove box I find this item. What is it? How do I replace the glovebox with this in the way?

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Yeah.. WTH? Is it solid, hollow, steel? That's bizarro for sure.

3. al baz

al baz Member

It is solid and covered by a vinyl kind of covering. Truck was owned by a fire department in Colorado. Maybe it is part of some kind of radio equipment. Have been afraid to remove it in case it was needed for the truck to run. Since no one knows what it is, I'm hoping I can remove it.

4. ironman3452

ironman3452 Member

does it have wires going to it?

5. al baz

al baz Member

Just got around to removing this today. Mystery solved. The item is a piece of 2x4. Covered by vinyl. It was bolted up under the dash. I'm guessing it was for some additional support to make the dash sturdier. Why? Guess I'll never know.

6. ironman3452

ironman3452 Member

well at least you now know that there may be other surprises., in mine I have wires going to a switch under the dash, and into the wiring harness for what purpose, I don't know but I have not gotten that far, right now, working on the motor, and the outside of the panel.

7. Woogeroo

Woogeroo Member

The original glovebox was carboard, so wouldn't take a lot of weight. Maybe they put that there to hold something specific.

You can never figure out what all 'previous owners', usually abbreviated to PO on the various chevy truck forums, have done.

Interesting tho'.

-W