1953 3100 pickup - steel brake lines suggestions

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Woogeroo, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Woogeroo

Woogeroo Member

Hiya folks.

I was toying around today with my dad's old '53 3100 yesterday... and the steel brake that goes to the rear axle burst.

egads!

Luckily I was stopped when it happened... 5 minutes earlier and it would have been an interesting ride with the park brake.

Time to swap out the metal lines then... I've swapped out and bent straight ones from the store before, but I noticed some of the vendors have all the pieces in a kit, but I imagine unless specifically written, they are all straight lines that need to be bent as well.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions for steel brake line sourcing, pros and cons.

Thanks.

-W

2. coilover

coilover Member

We use cunifer brake lines on everything we do anymore. VERY easy to bend and flare plus will never corrode.

3. Zig

Zig Member

I'm not sure you will be able to get away with not bending them. I like stripping a length of 12/2 wire and using those copper lines to get the bends figured out before trying to bend the brake line itself. Good luck, and indeed, thank God that didn't happen on the road!

4. Woogeroo

Woogeroo Member

I don't mind bending them, as long as I know I have to bend 'em before I pay for them. :D

Yeah, glad it happened when it was stopped, because I had just ridden down the hill not 5 minutes before that.

Thanks for the replies folks.

-W

5. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

Go with Poly Armour from NAPA. Easy to work with, easy to bend and corrosive resistance.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What happened to Inline Tube ? .

They used to sell pre bent brake and fuel pipes .

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

I got mine from our host, they fit like a charm.