'51 216 starting problems

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ray Smith, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Member

After driving for a period of time with engine at normal running temperature, then stopping for a brief period engine will not restart until it cools off for awhile. Feel it has to be electrical but don't know where to start.
    Thoughts?
    Ray

2. coilover

coilover Member

I take it you still have the 6 volt system. Clean every connection shiny clean, use AT LEAST 00 cable, run ground from battery to starter bolt and a second from engine to body, check copper contact in starter switch and rotate 180 degrees if burned/corroded, have starter load tested, and I'm sure your battery is good. I don't like the 6v system anymore and it's not about starting problems but because generators and voltage regulators have crazy high prices and the batteries don't seem to have a good life period anymore.

3. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

If it turns over but doesn't start, it could vapor lock. If it doesn't do anything until it cools down, then I would first check the starter.

4. Wolf

Wolf Member

You'll have to be more clear on what you mean it "won't start". Does it crank and just won't fire?

Let's assume that is the case. When it cranks but won't fire check for 2 things. Fuel and spark. 99% it is one or the other with your symptoms. Easy check for spark, get a spark tester and see if it lights up, or pull a plug and ground it out to check for spark. Fuel maybe the easiest. If it's cranking and not starting simply poor or spray a bit of fuel in the top of the carb. if it fires, then you have a fuel issue.

You can also check for fuel by looking at your clear fuel filter that is located by the carb. You may say, I don't have one of those... Well get one and install it. Huge help to diagnose, so a bad fuel pump... Ask me how I know that just this last week;)

Nice thing is these trucks are not overly complex, check the basics. If you are not sure how to do something then by all means ask. These guys here are just great.